Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Audiobook Reviews & Discussion

Lately I've been listening to quite a few audiobooks and I've come to the conclusion, that I might just be more of a picky listener than a picky reader.

I gave the last 5 I listened to all 2 stars. I don't even remember the last time I gave such a low rating to a book (though it was probably at the beginning of the year or something... *she says remembering The Graveyard Book in February*)

thumbs down no big bang theory disagree
At first I thought the books simply weren't for me but the more I thought about it, other factors popped up:
·        Sometimes the voice doesn’t fit the character, or other characters when it changes. This includes when they try accents that sound over-exaggerated or obviously false.
·        Tropes, clich├ęs, word choices etc. are more noticeable and while I don’t understand why, it can put me off.
·        Even sped up, they’re loooong. It’s a commitment. So if the other elements don’t work, that’s a lot of time spent on something you’re not loving.

That said, it still falls down to the book. If I wouldn’t have enjoyed reading it, I also wouldn’t enjoy listening to it.


21847057Crystal Magic (Clearwater Witches #1) by Madeline Freeman
If you enjoy being able to predict every plot, character and word before it happens because the book consists of every YA trope you can think of (*ticking off fingers* love triangle, 'the chosen one', new town, dead parents, mysterious boy, mean girl, school dance *runs out of fingers*) then this is the book for you! Me, I'll pass.

13450339
Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles #1) by Kresley Cole
Did not finish at 10%
I haven't even made it to the apocalyptic event but I can't bring myself to listen to any more.
Somehow I don't remember signing up for an unnecessarily creepy prologue with seemingly nothing to do with the story, which is in fact about a self-obsessed 'everything is about me' girl with a terrible choice of friends that that rubs me up the wrong way.
Perhaps I haven't given it a fair chance, usually I would go longer before putting a book down for good, but unless someone tells me I'm making a huge mistake, I feel no regret over abandoning this book with the statement that it is not for me.

Are you a fan of audiobooks? Have you experienced anything I've mentioned? I'd love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...