Monday, 11 April 2016

Review: Life and Death, Twilight Reimagined (Twilight #5) by Stephenie Meyer

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26874617-life-and-deathGoodreads Synopsis:
Celebrate the tenth anniversary of Twilight! This special double-feature book includes the classic novel, Twilight, and a bold and surprising reimagining, Life and Death, by Stephenie Meyer.

Packaged as an oversize, jacketed hardcover “flip book,” this edition features nearly 400 pages of new content as well as exquisite new back cover art. Readers will relish experiencing the deeply romantic and extraordinarily suspenseful love story of Bella and Edward through fresh eyes.



Review:
Good and bad and surprisingly enjoyable. Dare I say it was even better than the original… To me at least. And here’s why through a list of positives and negatives analysing my 2 perspectives.

The Good
The gender swapping made a statement and got people talking about how unfair judgements/stereotypes can be made based on gender alone while also proving the idea it didn’t matter if Bella was a boy or girl (on some levels). More significantly to me, it made more sense in the story – perhaps it was down to the writing and character development, I couldn’t pinpoint exactly why, but the outcome was the same.

The book essentially went through another round of much needed revisions, containing 10 years’ worth of wanted changes. The fact Meyer loved her characters enough to want to go back shows in the writing.

Beau is darn funny. It’s possible Kristen Stewart’s constipated acting (listening to Bella talk sometimes felt like watching paint dry, only more frustrating and painful) has influenced my memory of the character because I don’t remember laughing once, yet I was grinning all the time in Life and Death. He’s adorable!

The ending. Meyer managed to write something that was less ludicrous than Breaking Dawn and more satisfying than every book in the series. THIS IS WHAT I ALWAYS WANTED!

Spoilers: 


The Bad
This book is a money grab. It may be wrapped up nice and pretty as a special surprise for fans on the tenth anniversary but whatever way you look at it – a main reason for being published was the copious amounts of money currently rolling in. Many readers couldn’t care less; after all it’s more content from their favourite series/author whereas in which case what does it matter?

Terrible names – if the sound of Edythe (Edward), Jessamine (Jasper), Carine (Carlisle), Ernest (Esme) etc. wasn’t bad enough, I still had trouble remembering who was who at times. My poor brain couldn’t handle it.

Sexual assaults were changed for beatings and attempted murder. Guys can also be victims of those situations so why the change?

Spoilers:

Favourite Quotes:
“Try not to get caught up in antiquated gender roles.” 

“I’ve been staring forever in the face for a century, and tonight is the very first time it’s looked beautiful to me. Because of you.”

“I wasn’t very good at leaving you alone when I tried. I don’t know how to do it.”
“Will you do me a favour? Stop trying to figure that one out.”
She half-smiled. “I suppose, given the frequency of your near-death experiences, it’s actually safer for me to stay close.”
“True story. You never know when another rogue van might attack.”


Do you have any plans to read this book?
If you have already, what did you think? Do we have any similar opinions or completely different ones?! I'd love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...