Tuesday, 5 April 2016

Author Interview: Chris Cannon

I am so excited to have teamed up with Chris Cannon, courtesy of the lovely people at her publisher Entangled Teen, to bring you an interview today – the title probably clued you in ;)
If you don’t know, I’m rather in love with all things dragon in YA, which combined with snarky characters and an action packed plot has made Cannon’s books some of my all-time favourites. Did I mention that there were dragons? Because that should have sold you. If not I hope you will be by the end of this post. Enjoy.
1) Hi Chris, thanks so much for sparing some time for this interview! Can you tell us a little about your third book in the Going Down in Flames series (without giving away spoilers)?
In the third book, Bryn figures out that not everything is as black and white in the dragon world as she thought. The Directorate is controlling for sure, but they may not be as evil as she believed. She begins to understand Jaxon and his Blue Clan logic, which is slightly terrifying. Her relationship with Valmont grows stronger. The outside threats which were vague before come much closer to home. Bryn has to pick a side and figure out where she belongs.

2) How did the idea for series originally come about?
I’ve read a ton of fantasy books growing up. In those stories, the dragons were always a side character. I wanted to create a world where the dragons were the main characters. And I’m a huge Harry Potter fan. Besides being fantastically amazing, HP was the first boarding school series I read. After that I read the Vampire Academy series where the main character was a kick-ass chick. So dragons + Boarding School setting + kick-ass chick = Going Down In Flames

3) What type of dragon from the books, possible hybrids like Bryn included, would you be and why?
I’d love to be a Red Blue hybrid because I could outfly the snotty Blues and still breath fire, which I think is the coolest breath weapon.

4) How much of your characters are based on your traits or someone you know personally?
I have a loop of smart-ass comments playing in my head all the time, but I don’t say them out loud because it wouldn’t be appropriate. Bryn and Clint get to say the things I can’t say in real life.

5) Which scenes were your favourite and least favourite to write?
I loved writing the magic scenes where Bryn discovers cool artifacts…it’s hard to discuss without giving too much away. The last big conflict of this book was hard to write because it was sad. I’ve never killed off a character who was a good person before.

6) What can we expect from future instalments in the series?
Bryn and Jaxon will become closer. The civil war that has been brewing will come to a head causing casualties on both sides.

7) Can you talk us through your personal approach to writing a book?
I’m a panster. I don’t outline. I start with characters and drop them in a situation that forces them to make a choice. I know the main points of the story.  Every night after work, I come home, drink coffee and try to write a 1000 words on my work in progress. I do a lot of rewriting and revising. And then my editor makes me revise more.

8) What’s the best/worst writing advice you’ve ever received?
The worst advice I received was when someone told me I should change my characters to vampires because no one would want to read about dragons.
The best advice I ever received was to write a little bit every day. It adds up quickly.

Quick Questions
Fan fiction & fan art, yay or nay? I think fan fiction is fans showing love for a particular universe. I love fan art.
Ebook or paperback? I buy way more ebooks than I do paperbacks just because it’s so easy to one-click.
Tea or coffee? Coffee.
Zombies or vampires? Both. I like The Walking Dead but most of the time the zombie movies are too graphic for me. And I love the Originals which is a vampire soap opera.


About the Author
Award winning author Chris Cannon lives in Southern Illinois with her husband and her three dogs, Pete the shih tzu who sleeps on her desk while she writes, Molly the ever-shedding yellow lab, and Tyson the sandwich-stealing German Shepherd Beagle. She believes coffee is the Elixir of Life. Most evenings after work, you can find her sucking down caffeine and writing fire-breathing paranormal adventures and snarky contemporary romance. Website * Goodreads * Facebook * Twitter * Instagram * Tumblr *
225919932386717528230006

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...