Tuesday, 15 December 2015

Review: Slumber (The Slumber Duology #1) by Christy Sloat

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24517353-slumber?from_search=true&search_version=serviceGoodreads  Synopsis:
Not all princesses get their happily ever after...
They tell me I killed my boyfriend Phillip in cold blood. I stabbed him twenty one times. I’m only seventeen years old, and I am serving life in Spindle Ridge Asylum for the Criminally Insane.
I don’t remember killing him, so it’s really hard to believe I’m capable of murder. In fact I don’t remember anything before I came to Spindle Ridge, not even my boyfriend.
I can only grasp onto my realistic dreams while the madness of the asylum threatens to pull me under. I dream I’m a beautiful princess and there is an evil faerie named Maleficent who is bent on my destruction. The dreams are the closest thing I have to memories of my life, except they aren’t real.
I’m crazy. I’m not a princess. 
They’re the mad illusions of an irrational teenage girl, right?
They’ve assigned me a new doctor, and she says I can trust her, and that she’ll help me see the truth of who I really am. 
When she arrived she brought a new patient, Sawyer, who is everything Spindle Ridge isn’t: exciting, mysterious and beautiful. He promises he’s here to rescue me. Trusting either of them frightens me.
Could it be possible that my dreams are more than just the imaginings of a delusional girl? Could they be truth?


Review:
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

Fairytale retellings can be just that – the story re-written with an individual writer’s flare/idea or it can throw the story on its head and give you something new that will surprise and delight, while also keeping the roots that make it a retelling. Slumber is definitely the latter, and I loved it.

Since reading the synopsis this book stood out for being unlike anything I’ve read before and it continued to stay in my mind even when I wasn’t reading it (though I very much wanted to be!) The plot just demands your attention, which combined with engaging characters could easily make this a one-sit read.

It was very easy to put myself in Rory’s shoes and experience all the confusion just as she did (even though as a reader I knew more). Tangled in something that she didn’t understand: why she would have killed her boyfriend and why her dreams of being a princess feel so real, it’s her developing strong-will that makes her determined to find the answers. Though there’s no happily ever after in sight just yet…

I can’t wait to see how it all changes in the conclusion to this duology after the epic finale that had me on the edge of my seat. One thing I know for sure is that Sloat will make sure it is filled with surprises that don’t disappoint.
Favourite Quotes:
“I knew why I had fallen for him, and it wasn’t because I was young and foolish. It was because he was everything I wanted in my life. He was freedom from my duties as a princess. He was fun and laughter when I was stuck inside with my studies. He was the beauty when I was in a world where evil lurked around in the shadows.”

“I was a fighter, and I would fight until the end. And everyone would know that of me from now on.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...