Monday, 21 December 2015

Review: Pirate Princess (Pirate Princess #1) by Catherine Banks

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26296361-pirate-princessGoodreads Synopsis:
As the daughter of the Pirate King, Tilia Swanson has an unusual upbringing learning skills that aren’t often available for women. As the heir apparent for the Kingdom of Crilan, her skills set her apart as she is trained by the best in the land and taught to harness her magic. However, piracy is in her blood, and draws danger to Tilia in the way that treasure draws pirates. Some treasures are more valuable than others. Will this lesson be learned in time or will the betrayal of those around her be her undoing?

Review:
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the publisher through Enchanted Book Promotions in exchange for an honest review***

This is the best kind of book that sucks you in until you lose yourself in the fantastical world, filled with pirates, magic, intrigue, battles, heroines and love. It’s the kind of book that you not only don’t want to, but can’t make yourself put down. Basically it’s epic and I’m thrilled to have had the chance to read it.

A major reason is because the characters in this book are like no others. What makes them even better is that the family relationships I’ve often missed in YA are not just present, but genuine and heart-warming and absolutely hilarious (the amount of banter in this book is unparalleled) and I couldn’t stop grinning whenever they sparked up conversations. The King and Queen could be deadly one moment, single-handedly taking down a whole kingdom’s army and then teasing each other by recanting their courtship the next. The love between everyone was undeniable, often coming across in extreme protectiveness that was amusing to say the least!

I immediately fell in love with all the characters, particularly Finn who is the epitome of charming. At first I was hesitant because time-wise it very easily could have felt like insta-love which is a complete turnoff, but that quickly changed as his relationship with Tilia developed through multiple (near death) obstacles.

Tilia herself is awesome full stop. She is smart and resourceful, brutal yet compassionate and Pirate Princess is very much a coming of age story where she learns to embrace all those qualities and her roles – adapted to suit her of course. The girl will stand up for what she wants as well as for those she loves.

I also couldn’t get enough of the beautifully written world where so many fantastic events take place (the pirate festival sounds like so much fun! I would be pretty terrible in it but I can always pretend through Tilia…) There was always something to capture my attention and keep the pages turning. I cannot wait for the next instalment along with more from one of my new favourite authors Catherine Banks.

Spoilers:

Favourite Quotes:
“Sometimes a damsel must save herself.”

“Blowing things up is not always the answer,” she said.
“Women just don’t understand,” Finn agreed with Jared,” A good explosion says a lot of things to people that requires minimal effort on your part and clearly gets your point across.”

“I didn’t care if my ship sank or all the treasures I keep in it because you are my greatest and only treasure and without you I am the poorest pirate alive. I love you, Tilia.”

“I’m a pirate princess,” I told them, “And no matter how far inland you take me, my heart will always belong to the sea.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...