Tuesday, 1 December 2015

My Experience with NaNoWriMo 2015

For some reason I only found out about NaNoWriMo last year, 3 weeks into November and so it was too late to join but I promised myself that I'd try next time. This went out the window when I fully realised how much of a feat it would be in an already busy month... yet the morning of I decided to sign up!
     I wanted to start (and stop putting off) writing the idea that had been going round in my head for weeks, so this seemed like the perfect opportunity even while expecting to not win. *Spoiler* I did win and couldn't be happier about it :D

Half way through and I had my heart set on hitting 50K. What surprised me most about reaching it, is that I didn't feel too much pressure (even though I had many bad days). I'd heard everywhere that NaNo is stressful and crazy and while I definitely understand both those things, it's also extremely rewarding and fun. 

My biggest obstacle has always been motivation and being an annoying perfectionist. However with NaNo there was constantly something to keep me on track be it sprints, pep talks, people telling me I should be writing and more! It also didn't leave room for me to go back and delete parapgrahs/scenes I didn't like and nitpick to extremes. The knowledge that first drafts don't have to be perfect has been a life saver. After all that's what editing and revisions are for.
 
My second biggest obstacle was my cat. He decided that every time my laptop came into view it would be the perfect place to sleep and get attention, whether the screen was down or open. It didn't matter that I couldn't type because his paws would for me (the only times I allowed big chunks to be deleted because "aaaaaaaaaaaaa" continued for several pages isn't really what I had in mind for the story).

You can see my writing stats here >>
Right now I'm hoping to continue writing the first draft (it would be amazing to have it done by the end of the year but we'll have to see) and also catch up with my reading because that's the one thing I couldn't manage so much along with writing 1,600 words a day and I didn't realise how much I missed it!

In the end I have come away from November and my first NaNoWriMo with 50 thousand words of my novel's first draft and a great experience behind me. If I'll do it again next year or not is a whole other story...

Did you participate in NaNoWriMo? How'd you do?
What were you up to in November while I was typing away?
As always I'd love to know <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...