Thursday, 31 December 2015

2015 End of the Year Bookish Survey

I was debating what 'end of year post' that I wanted to write when I stumbled across the 2015 End of the Year Bookish Survey created by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page Turner and it alludes me as to how I didn't know about it before! Anyway, I've now seen a fair few of these posts and since I know how long they can be I want to keep it interesting and also challenged myself to answer each question with only 1 sentence (though it's very possible I will have to change it to 2...)

Number of Books You Read: 131 which is 11 more than my goal
Number of Re-Reads: Goodreads has failed me... but I know there's at least 4
Genre You Read the Most From: Fantasy

1) Best book you read in 2015?
Starts straight away with a hard one, the first that comes to mind is Rebels (The Reverians #2) by Sarah Noffke

2) Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn't?
The Fire Sermon (The Fire Sermon #1) by Francesca Haig which I could barely force myself to finish.

3) Most surprising (in a good way) book you read?
I don't usually read contemporary but made an exception for Simon VS the Homo Sapiens by Becky Albertalli and couldn't be happier about it.

4) Book you 'pushed' the most people to read (and they did)?
As mentioned in my Christmas book tag, I will rave about First Year (The Black Mage #1) by Rachel E. Carter to anyone and everyone that will listen - some did and also loved it!
5) Best series you started in 2015? Best sequel of 2015? Best series ender of 2015?
It has to be The Lucidites series by Sarah Noffke for all of these!

6) Favourite new author you discovered in 2015?
Not only is Heidi Leilig (author of The Girl from Everywhere) a great person, she's a phenomenal writer.

7) Best book from a genre you don't typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Before Outlander by Diana Gabaldon I had never read an adult book so it was out of my comfort zone and something I don't particularly read, but I ended up loving it and not just for Jamie... a large part of it maybe but not all ;)
8) Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
A recent favourite and one I couldn't get enough of: Pirate Princess (Pirate Princess #1) by Catherine Banks.

9) Book you read in 2015 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
Whether or not my heart can handle it again, I'd love to re-read Frostbite (The Dragonian #3) by Adrienne Woods before the next book so that emotions resurface and I'll love it all the more.

10) Favourite cover of a book you read in 2015?
Just look at Ice Like Fire (Snow Like Ashes #2) by Sara Raasch and tell me it's not stunning... you can't.
11) Most memorable character of 2015?
Celaena from the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas is all kinds of awesome.

12) Most beautifully written book read in 2015?
Everything about The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Curse #1) by Marie Rutkoski is beautiful but the writing in particular is just breathtaking - I got so caught up in the book that it's quite possible I forgot to breathe at times, as well as eat and sleep!

13) Most thought-provoking/life-changing book of 2015?
Something that I've noticed more recently is an emphasis on feminism in YA and The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury opened me eyes to another aspect of it, where the girl doesn't take on more 'masculine' qualities to be seen as a strong female character.

14) Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read?
There's nothing I can pinpoint as to why I didn't read Shadow and Bone (The Grisha #1) by Leigh Bardugo until late September, except that I hadn't gotten around to it beforehand! In the end I practically binge-read the series XD
15) Favourite passage/quote from a book you read in 2015?
"Libraries were full of ideas - perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons." - Throne of Glass

16) Shortest & longest book you read in 2015?
At 9 pages The Night I Lost You (The Lynburn Legacy #1.5) by Sarah Rees Brennan is easily the shortest and with 887 more pages, Outlander is one beast of a book and the longest I've read yet.

17) Book that shocked you the most?
The ending to The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen #1) by Jodi Meadows... No, I still just can't. I refuse to believe it okay?
18) OTP of the year (you will go down with this ship!)
Instead of saying me with every book boyfriend I have - I'm a lost cause in that regard XD I have to go with Valek & Yelena from Shadow Study (Study #4) by Maria V. Snyder because I live for their moments together!

19) Favourite non-romantic relationship of the year
It's a strange answer now that I think about it, but from The Novice (Summoner #1) by Taran Matharu I love Fletcher's partnership with his demon Ignatius - it helps that Ignatius is simply adorable.

20) Favourite book you read in 2015 from an author you've read previously
I read the previous books in the An Unfortunate Fairy Tale series by Chanda Hahn for the first time around 3 years ago and then again in 2014, before picking up the final book this year and OMG IT IS AMAZING!

21) Best book you read in 2015 that you read based solely on a recommendation from someone else/peer pressure
Usually I don't do this because I have to be interested after the synopsis, but after hearing tonnes and tonnes of good things about Looking for Alaska by John Green I picked it up - even after I'd decided not to pick up any more of his books! And I enjoyed it even more than I'd thought (though not as much as TFIOS)

22) Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015?
Pretty much all the boys from all the books <3 <3

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21936988-the-sin-eater-s-daughter?from_search=true&search_version=service23) Best 2015 debut you read?
Most of this year's debuts remain on my TBR with the exception of The Sin Eater's Daughter which I've already mentioned (it's worth repeating) that I loved.

24) Best world-building/most vivid setting you read this year?
The beautiful island settings in The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig enveloped me in the world Heilig created in the best possible way.

25) Book that put a smile on your face/was the most fun to read?
For reasons I won't go into, at the beginning of 2015 I wasn't in the best place and The Duff by Kody Keplinger still managed to put a smile on my face (unlike the movie which was just cringey)

26) Book that made you cry in 2015?
27) Hidden gem of the year?
I haven't seen many people mention Going Down in Flames by Chris Cannon so I would consider it to be a hidden gem - it definitely deserves more recognition (and more people loving it so I can rave with them!)

28) Book that crushed your soul?

29) Most unique book you read in 2015?
Told in the form of a letter, Stolen by Lucy Christopher definitely sticks out to me with it's twisted storyline on top of that.

30) Book that made you the most mad (doesn't necessarily mean you didn't like it)?
Fallen by Lauren Kate is one of the most frustrating books I have ever read in my life. My review goes into more detail but basically the protagonist has no spine, the love interest is a douche and it all felt kind of pointless... other than that and my hundred more problems it was the best! *laughs while cringing*

1) New favourite book blog you discovered in 2015?
I could create a 10 page list of all the amazing blogs & people I found this year.

2) Favourite review that you wrote in 2015?
Occasionally I can get a little... enthusiastic (aka raving) in my reviews when I either really love or really hate a book and they're simply so much fun to write! The two sides are Apprentice (The Black Mage #2) by Rachel E. Carter which most already know I adore & Fallen (Fallen #1) by Lauren Kate which you can work out my feelings towards from the review ahah

3) Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
My Experience with NaNoWriMo was great in that I could record while also sharing all my thoughts and I know it's something I'll look back on as I continue writing.
4) Best even that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc)?
This year I've been lucky enough to attend a few author signings/events including YALC in July that was simply amazing and I got to share the experience with lots of lovely people which is always a plus!

5) Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015?
My 1 year Blogoversary was a really great moment because I was looking back at so many amazing memories as well as planning to make more in the future :) also I like giving away books!

6) Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Making time to do both became a real struggle at times when I had other commitments and also lacked enough motivation (reading slumps are the bane of any readers existence), often it was sleep calling.

7) Most popular post this year on your blog?
The response to announcing my own etsy shop called Enchanted Bottle Craft selling book related jewellery etc. blew me away. With the most comments & views I've ever seen on the blog, I couldn't quite beieve how well received it was and has been since :D you guys are the best

8) Post you wished got a little more love?
Maybe my Reader Problems Tag simply because as this post is reminding me, it took a lot of time to answer all the questions ahah

9) Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores etc)?
It's possible I was very late in discovering the wonder that is audiobooks (or at least I'm pretty sure it was this year) and I've listened to about 10 since then.
https://www.goodreads.com/user_challenges/1853216
10) Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
The only challenge I set myself was the Goodreads Reading Challenge for 120 books and I did surpass it *dances with books*

1) One book you didn't get to in 2015 but will be your number 1 priority in 2016?
Back at the start of October I pre-ordered The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase & the Gods of Asgard #1) by Rick Riordan but it was locked away to be given as a christmas present and now that it's finally in my hands I'm dying to pick it up!

2) Book you are most anticipating for 2016 (non-debut)?
It's got to be Passenger (Passenger #1) by Alexandra Bracken because it's going to be amazing.

3) 2016 debut you are most anticipating?
Keeping with the pirate book theme that I absolutely love, Blackhearts by Nicole Castroman looks great.
4) Series ending/a sequel you are most anticipating in 2016?
After the way The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski ended, it's only natural that I NEED THE WINNER'S KISS! But in the old covers please

5) One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging life in 2016?
It would be great if I could set up a blogging schedule and stick with it but the likeliness of that happening right now is zero to none, so I'll settle with continuing to post regularly and trying to improve my content.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26296361-pirate-princess?from_search=true&search_version=service6) A 2016 release you've already read & recommend to everyone
This is an easy one - Pirate Princess (Pirate Princess #1) by Catherine Banks is simply epic. You can see more on why in my review.

And that is all the questions! *phew* I know I went above 1 sentence on many but oh well
I'd love to know your answers, particularly your favourite read this year (it's difficult to pick I know) and in the meantime I hope you all have a wonderful new year.

Lastly, thanks to everyone who's stuck my me and my blog this year - you are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...