Monday, 21 September 2015

Review: The Summer Marked (The Winter People #2) by Rebekah L. Purdy

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014840-the-summer-markedGoodreads Synopsis:
The sequel to the chilling Winter People returns to the world of Faerie, and is a romantic and enchanting follow-up.

Salome left humankind behind to be with her boyfriend, Gareth, in the Kingdom of Summer. But now forces of darkness are rising. Her happily-ever-after is coming apart, and the Kingdom is on the brink of war. 

Newly-single Kadie Byers is on her way home for Thanksgiving, imagining a visit filled with hot chocolate, a hot guy for a little rebound action, and some girl time with her bestie, Salome. Except she receives a message from Salome with two important words: PLEASE HURRY.

When Kadie rushes to help Salome, she’s ripped from the human world and pulled into the kingdoms of Faerie, where she's shocked to learn that Salome's monsters are real, and that she's now at the mercy of one extremely vengeful Winter Queen... 

Now both Salome and Kadie must find a way to survive the deadly chaos...or lose themselves to Winter's deadly, icy grasp.


Review:
***I received the ARC eBook free as a review copy from the publisher Entangled Teen via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review***

I’ll be honest when I say that the first book didn’t impress me all that much, so believe me when I say this one did. It’s a slow burner, meaning that I gradually grew more and more invested in the story, until I had to put it down and realised I didn’t want to! Simple as that I was hooked.

What originally caught my interest more than anything is the beautiful (yet often chilling) faerie world which we’d only heard about before. The settings worked beautifully to immerse the reader and enhance the emotions of the characters. Pretty much nothing turned out how they expected and this continued throughout the novel…

Salome has grown up a lot since we last saw her in the sense that she’s learning to conquer her fears and also how to survive in a world where enemies are hiding everywhere, even in plain sight. Her romance with Gareth had (and will continue to have) many obstacles but the story didn’t revolve solely around this which I loved.

What I didn’t like at first was the introduction to Kadie’s perspective. In fact I rarely ever like it when authors do this in the middle of a series, but as I said before, it grew on me and I reached the turning point where I couldn’t imagine the book without it. Not only did her chapters provide more insight to the world, her story is an interesting one involving many more characters I’m glad we got to see.

Overall, with more characters, more action and more awesomeness, The Summer Marked is a book you won’t want to end. Thankfully there is a sequel, which I can’t wait to read!
Favourite Quotes:
“We’re gonna defeat Winter, and then we’ll all live happily ever after.”
He chuckled. “Has anyone ever told you that you read way too many fairytales?”
“I don’t need to read them anymore – I’m living one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...