Monday, 27 July 2015

Review: UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale #1) by Chanda Hahn

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13402447-unenchantedGoodreads Synopsis:
Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated; that is until she saves her crush's life on a field trip, changing her High School status from loser to hero overnight. 

But with her new found fame brings misfortune in the form of an old family curse come to light. For Mina is a descendant from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of their unfinished fairy tale business which includes trying to outwit a powerful Story from making her its' next fairy-tale victim.

To break the fairy tale curse on her family and make these deadly occurrences stop, Mina must finish the tales until the very Grimm end.


Review:
This book took me back to the time when I was getting into reading religiously again; when I downloaded any and every book that I could find for free on my kindle. It means that my opinion is quite biased even though now as a more experienced reader I found faults which I didn’t before.

That’s also why I’m making this a shorter review than normal because I don’t want to mark those memories with critiques that never mattered to me back then.

Basically I love this book.

The writing may not be award-winning and the characters not dramatically deep, but it was a hell of an enjoyable read. I flew through it without realising where the time went because it simply sucks you in. The plot with its twist on fairy tales captured my imagination being something so unique that even now, years later, I haven’t seen before. Its magical aspect merged beautifully with the real world making it the perfect light read to take you away for the few hours it takes to read.

The characters aren’t perfect I’ll admit, and not just in the way they were written, yet because of it they felt all the more real. Mina was such an easy character to relate to with her clumsiness and bad luck (we’ve all had that embarrassing moment… or several…) Her best friend Nan was also great because back when I didn’t have so many friends these characters took me away from that reality, which is something I’ll always treasure.
Favourite Quotes:
“Not every tale has a happy ending. In fact, many of them are grim.” 

“Nan, I’m cursed.”
“Yeah, I know. We all are.” Nan kicked her legs back and forth and grabbed a magazine from Mina’s nightstand. “It’s called being a teenager.”

“There is something far greater at work here than what the human mind can process. It’s ancient, it’s old, and it’s powerful. Some say it’s God, others say it’s fate, but whatever it is, it can’t be stopped.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...