Sunday, 12 July 2015

Review: Rebel Heart (Dust Lands #2) by Moira Young

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13042154-rebel-heartGoodreads Synopsis:
There's a price on Saba's head. They call her the Angel of Death. She defeated a tyrant, but victory has come at a cost. Haunted by the ghosts of her past, she needs Jack. His moonlit eyes, his reckless courage, his wild heart. But Jack has left, and a ruthless new enemy searches for Saba across the Dustlands...


Review:
What. The. Hell. Did. I. Just. Read?

After relatively enjoying Blood Red Road I thought there were high chances this book could bring me out of my latest reading slump, but little did I know it would destroy these hopes… Completely and utterly. After a slow start things went from bad, to worse, to throw book into the pond terrible. And all for 2 reasons:

1)      Saba is an idiot. The bad-ass fighter from book 1 is gone, replaced with a girl haunted by the ghosts of her decisions (incredibly interesting actually) UNTIL her problems seemingly disappear into thin air because of some heat lodge ritual. Pur-lease *rolls eyes*. After that her character is unrecognizable, choosing paths that don’t make sense and bouncing between boys.

Which brings me to reason 2) The plot relies on the idea Saba is irresistible, otherwise there would be no plot! Introduce a love triangle and I’m anxious, introduce a love square and you have lost me as a reader. Introduce a love interest with insta-love (of which I shudder at the word) and I can no longer take any of the writing seriously. I’ll be fair though and let’s consider for one second that boys do naturally flock to her - yet the story still makes just about no sense.

Now there are many other reasons I disliked this book so much – unrelateable characters, boring dystopian plot etc etc. What it boils down to is the fact that I no longer care about what happens. So no I will not be reading the next book, and no I cannot recommend the series.
Favourite Quotes:
“What happens to you changes you. Fer good or ill, yer changed ferever. There ain't no goin back. No matter how many tears you cry.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...