Sunday, 14 June 2015

Review: Shadow Study (Soulfinders #1 / Study #4 / Chronicles of Ixia #7) by Maria V. Snyder

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16130758-shadow-study?from_search=true&search_version=service_imprGoodreads Synopsis:
Once, only her own life hung in the balance…

When Yelena was a poison taster, her life was simpler. She survived to become a vital part of the balance of power between rival countries Ixia and Sitia.

Now she uses her magic to keep the peace in both lands—and protect her relationship with Valek.
Suddenly, though, dissent is rising. And Valek’s job—and his life—are in danger.
As Yelena tries to uncover her enemies, she faces a new challenge: her magic is blocked.And now she must find a way to keep not only herself but all that she holds dear alive.


Review:
I was terrified to read this book. Honest to god terrified. Because while I love the Study series with all my heart, I also loved the ending to what was originally the last book, Fire Study, and while I would never say no to another book with Yelena and Valek (after all I’m not crazy) there was always the chance it would disappoint. It didn’t help that I couldn’t get into the Glass series which is set in the same amazing world…

BUT I should not have worried! From the first page I was drawn in and it was one of those moments where you forget what you’re missing until suddenly all the emotions come rushing back. Maria V. Synder once again brought the world to life and I’m so grateful. It needs to be said that her writing is breathtaking with the perfect mix of adventure, romance, relationships, tension and humour – I can’t fault it.

In Shadow Study we see from 3 perspectives and while originally my heart rebelled at the thought of not seeing everything through Yelena, I quickly fell in love with the idea as it means we learn more about Valek’s past and– well that’s reason enough for me! Their relationship is so great because while they’d protect each other with everything they have, they also respect the other’s strengths and the level of trust is beautiful.

Janco’s editions to the book looked to be created more for the plot and seeing it develop than anything else; especially since the three characters were more often than not long distances apart (much to Yelena/Valek shippers chagrin). The added hilarity of his character and interactions with others made his chapters a welcome edition.

It’s near impossible to pinpoint my favourite thing about this book because I loved it all! And if you haven’t already picked up any of Maria V. Synder’s books, well, you should!
Favourite Quotes:
“Valek had learned the best way to distribute information was to classify it as secret.”

“We should make a list of who doesn’t want to kill you, love. It’d be shorter.”
I’d be offended, but it was actually a good idea.”

“Emotion gives us strength.”
At the right time and place.”

“I always remember the faces and names of my enemies. I don’t want to forget to kill anyone.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...