Saturday, 6 June 2015

Review: Magic Study (Study #2) by Maria V. Snyder

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3244135-magic-studyGoodreads Synopsis:
YOU KNOW YOUR LIFE IS BAD WHEN YOU MISS YOUR DAYS AS A POISON TASTER...

With her greatest enemy dead, and on her way to be reunited with the family she'd been stolen from long ago, Yelena should be pleased. But though she has gained her freedom, she can't help feeling isolated in Sitia. Her Ixian background has changed her in many ways—and her newfound friends and relatives don't think it's for the better....

Despite the turmoil, she's eager to start her magic training—especially as she's been given one year to harness her power or be put to death. But her plans take a radical turn when she becomes involved with a plot to reclaim Ixia's throne for a lost prince—and gets entangled in powerful rivalries with her fellow magicians.

If that wasn't bad enough, it appears her brother would love to see her dead. Luckily, Yelena has some old friends to help her with all her new enemies....


Review:
Update 5/4/15:
My original rating for this book was 3 stars... but after re-reading it I don't understand why! I seem to remember it being because of Valek's limited appearances however it meant I anticipated, as well as enjoyed, the scenes that much more the second time around <3

Original review 11/4/14:
3.5 STARS
I’ve got mixed feelings towards this book. As Yelena is faced with even more problems you see her strength shine through even more and I know I’ve said this before but it takes a lot of character to pull through to the other side still standing after everything. It was hard watching her struggle because when she hurt you hurt with her, and when she felt joy you did too; and this provided so many feels!

I haven’t even mentioned Valek yet; who I admit I have a major crush on. After reading Assassin Study which is Maria V Snyder’s novella that occurs before this book I saw him in a whole new light. His devotion was blindingly clear for the ones he loved but he didn’t need recognition to fuel this and it made him even more impressive in my eyes. This followed through in Magic Study but my problem was that you didn’t see this again until like halfway through the book! The beginning was great and thoughtful but something was missing, and he didn’t return until you’d given up hope that he would make an appearance at all.

He came just in time for the complicated plot to unfold with so many unexpected twists and mouth-gaping revelations. It would have meant nothing if it weren’t for the characters though, who all have a place in this thrilling story. Whether it was to complicate Yelena’s life or complete it is up to you to decide, and only once you’ve read this book.

While Magic Study was not as good as Poison Study I still enjoyed it, and if you haven’t read any of the books you need to NOW! You won’t regret it and I guarantee that you will love them too.
Favourite Quotes:
“My plans had seemed straightforward, then my road kept dipping and turning and I kept getting caught in its traps. No I felt mired in mud in the middle of nowhere. Lost.”

“Living is a risk,” I snapped at him. “Every decision, every interaction, every step, every time you get out of bed in the morning, you take a risk. To survive is to know you’re taking that risk and to not get out of bed clutching illusions of safety.”

“He made a weak attempt to look innocent, but I knew better. “Should I guess how many concealed weapons you have or should I strip search you?”
“A strip search is the only way to be absolutely certain.” Valek’s deep blue eyes danced with delight.”

“How touching,” Janco said, pretending to wipe his eyes. “Get going, Yelena. I don’t want you to see me cry.” He faked a sniffle.
“I’m sure your ego can handle it,” I said. “Or will you need to beat up some trainees to feel like a man again?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...