Saturday, 9 May 2015

Review: The Calling (Gateway Series #1) by Louise G. White

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23380120-the-callingGoodreads Synopsis:
On the run and hiding from ‘the suits’, Carolyn’s life is far from straightforward. After her mother and brother go missing in a most extraordinary way, (through a hole to another world which appears in the kitchen wall!), she is determined to track them down and bring them home. But life is never that easy! Rescued and protected by a group of unusual and like minded ‘people’, Carolyn hones her magic and fighting skills. Whilst answering a ‘call’ to retrieve a human from another world she’s faced with a quick decision and ends up bringing a demon back with her. Little did she know what effect this demon would have on her. As each day passes her strengths grow and her magic develops to assist her in her quest to track down her family, but there are decisions to make that will affect the rest of her life.


Review:
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review***

This book never lost my interest, even with outside distractions and my current reading slump (that is now over!) I found myself enjoying it immensely and so invested in the story that time passed without me realising and I could look up to find the sky dark, hours after I’d picked it up!

Everything including pace and relationships moved incredibly fast: one of my immediate worries was the relationship between Carolyn and Note feeling like insta-love because looking at timings it was - no doubt about that - but before you run off, hear me out, because I’m always the first to turn away from a book when that’s mentioned, and in this case not only did it work plotwise (there’s an explanation) but I never got frustrated and actually liked it!

Carolyn was such an interesting main character to follow. Developed faultlessly her personality jumped from the pages. Of course at times the endless amount of problems got to her and mistakes were made, but I loved how she recovered, particularly when it involved the help of a certain snake demon called Note… He was so damn adorable and hilarious, even when he didn’t necessarily try/realise making it impossible to keep a grin off my face.

Every single character had something fascinating about them which I couldn’t get enough of. There’s always one exception though and I have a feeling Mel is going to cause more problems than she’s worth in the sequel; which by the way I’m simply dying to get my hands on!

The Calling is a thrilling debut from an author I’m excited to read more from, to which I recommend to all lovers of YA fantasy.
Favourite Quotes:
“The destroyer is...'" Ethan wondered at the next word, expecting 'horrific, 'mad', or even 'a bitch'... Not forgetting that she did try to kill him, of course.
"Glorious," he concluded to Ethan's surprise.”

“How odd that she could take comfort in a demon whilst trying to retain her grip on humanity.”

“He should know how she felt about him, that she accepted him for everything he was. Her earlier discomfort about his true appearance, the awareness of lines drawn, all faded to insignificance. The two of them together was how they were meant to be.”

“Dark days stretched before the now, and Ethan didn’t want to contemplate the possibility of the death and destruction, the finale that could well lie ahead.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...