Sunday, 12 April 2015

ARC Review: Caught in Crimson (Sword of Elements #2) by Heather Hamilton-Senter

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24959903-caught-in-crimsonGoodreads Synopsis:
Rhi’s ability to see magic as color, and her hunger to consume it, have brought her to Las Vegas to seek out the bard Taliesin’s help in understanding the true nature of what she is—a Leannan Sidhe, a kind of vampire. Armed with Excalibur, she’s torn between the factions looking to control the destiny of the earth. When an ancient artifact of the earth magic calls to her, filling her with fire, Rhi must decide whether to follow her heart or the path to power before her father Merlin decides she’s outlived her usefulness and destroys her mind.

The choices caught up in color and magic are never black and white.


Review:
***I received the ARC ebook free as a review copy from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review***

For lack of a better word – wow! I think I need a minute to get my wits about me before writing much more. This book took such an unexpected turn from the second it started to an end which left me gaping at the pages. Bound in Blue was a walk in the part for its characters compared to the sequel!

The plot takes a turn for the dark side when we lay witness to consequences from the first book’s revelations and boy do they get dark! It was written beautifully and the unique idea of seeing emotions as colours flowed into everything so well I couldn’t help thinking on multiple occasions “Why can’t I write like this?” Which in my eyes is the sign of a great author.

What’s more is that I was engaged throughout and if it was up to me I would have never put it down. Unfortunately when kindles die from lack charge and then go missing for a couple days (no I did not put it on my shelf by accident hidden behind the other books, psch) that doesn’t exactly happen! However that didn’t stop me thinking about what was next and looking forward to sitting down and immersing myself in the world.

A war is brewing where loyalties are unclear and no-one is safe. Looks to be fun right? Well the characters don’t exactly think so. Rhi is continuing to struggle with who she is and what that means for a future with those around her, which while captivating was hard to read about, especially when she had to make some decisions where neither outcome was good.

There were so many moments when I just sat in shock and even more where I wanted to scream for one reason or another (usually it was because a character wouldn’t just die already). Looking back there wouldn’t have been nearly as much heartbreak if characters died when I wanted, and then stayed dead. The way it played out made the story that much more interesting, but still!

A quick and enticing read, Bound in Blue was the perfect continuation of a story I can’t wait to see more of. Recommended to fans of fantasy who crave something with a unique twist.
Favourite Quotes:
“Believe in yourself and you’ll never be deceived.”

“There is magic everywhere if you know where to look. The world is filled with it. It is, at its purest, simply life.”

“Have mercy on us, Child of Blood. Have pity on us, oh thou destroyer Destroyer of Worlds.”

“Not all evil things hide in the night.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...