Thursday, 26 March 2015

Review & Guest Post: Frostbite (The Dragonian Series #3) by Adrienne Woods

Goodreads Synopsis:
Losing Lucian McKenzie, the Prince of her heart and discovering her true identity has made Elena Watkins' life almost unbearable. However, new trials will test the 17 year-old's strength and push her to limits she didn’t think were possible.

Only a mysterious offer from Blake Leaf, the Rubicon and a dragon predestined for evil, reveals there may be a light at the end of Elena’s dark tunnel.

With the life she thought she knew crashing down around her, Elena will have to face a monumental decision about the fate of Paegeia. She can either make peace with Blake’s demands or try once again to unravel the Queen’s secrets that lie deep within her dragon, Tanya La Frey’s, heart.


Review:
***I received the ebook free as a review copy from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review***

Heart pounding, tragic, action-packed, emotional, epic and awesome: all words which describe this holy grail of YA literature. I thought Adrienne Woods was going to have a hard time living up to the second book (particularly with the way it ended *cries at the mere memory*) but there was no doubt in my mind it was just as great, if not better!

Of course that meant I cried… a lot… but a good novel wouldn’t be complete without me bawling my eyes out during a family meal (last time it was an exam – I can’t decide which was more embarrassing, but I’m sure they’re all used to it by now).

All the relationships between the characters were so beautifully developed. Elena and Becky and Sammy came together as a force to be reckoned with, even though there highs and lows they grew together and created a bond that was impossible to break. Similarly I loved reading about Elena’s new connection with Cara, who we’re introduced to. We also see much more of Blake which I’m in two minds about; on one hand he is a complex character that will always capture my interest, and on the other I rarely agree with his decisions. Also I’m Team Lucian all the way. Hence the large amount of crying!

This book was incredibly emotional; as I’m sure you gathered, for me as a reader as well as for Elena. After going through so much already, and then being faced with more it was incredible to see how well (or not in some cases) she dealt with it. The most significant difference is that she will take shit from no one! And I can respect that.

Plot wise, Adrienne Woods has outdone herself with this one. We got answers to all the questions from previous instalments, in some truly mind-blowing revelations and with it a lot more insight on Paegeia’s history.

In the end, I can do nothing else but recommend you read this amazing series and in the meanwhile I’ll be looking forward to more.

Favourite Quotes:
“I’d paralyzed their lives, their futures. I was like ice, like frost freezing their hopes and dreams. I was the living embodiment of frostbite.”

“Evil comes in all forms, Elena. Even portrays itself as light.”

“For someone that really didn’t want me to fall in love with him he was really making it hard.”

“We sometimes have to make decisions we don’t want to.”


Guest Post:
The Dragonian Series Journey Part Three

Okay so we are on the third part of how I sell my series and hopefully you can take something from this and make your novels sell too.

I spoke about marketing in that first three crucial months when your novel comes out and I spoke about the entire package of your novel, now it’s off to getting reviews on Amazon and how to handle the negative ones.

Reviews are every author’s worst nightmare or biggest dream. A review can either break you down or lift you up - but only if you let them do that to you.

Reviews are important to every author. You need to be able to ask readers to read your novel and yes, you need to be able to do that for free. If you need someone to read your novel you can’t ask them to pay for it. Reviews help in getting more sales, there are many that make a decision on whether to buy your novel or not just on those reviews. This being said, even the negative reviews help with selling your novels, as curiosity will always be one of humans greatest flaws, which is awesome when it comes to buying novels.

We all want those five stars but it’s not possible. You can go and have a look at Twilight, Hunger games, 50 Shades of Grey and so many more block busters. They have a lot of one and two star reviews as well. Even my favorite series of all time Harry Potter. You can not let negative reviews get you down and you need to be able to tell the difference of whether this review was helpful or if it was just a reader trying to be nasty. The ones that try to be nasty, we call them trolls. They will tear your story apart, say it was the biggest load of crap they ever read, and attack you as an author. I’ve seen many authors stop writing because of this. They let the readers they couldn’t impress, the ones that don’t like their novel get under their skin and forget about the ones that did love the stories.  You are not going to please everyone with your novel. Stephanie Meyer hasn’t, J.K Rowling too and I can promise you a lot of readers didn’t like E.L James with her 50 shades of Grey but did that stop them from getting that movie deal? Absolutely not.  They had so many other readers that completely loved them and they focus on those that did.

Ignore the trolls completely, don’t send them nasty messages as it is only hurting you as an author.
The negative reviews that is different than the trolls, those would tell you in detail why they didn’t love your novel. Maybe it wasn’t really their genre and they gave it a try. If they still didn’t love it, don’t pay too much attention to it as they didn’t like the genre to begin with. If they do love the genre and they start giving a list of all the things they don’t like, then you pay attention. Read it carefully and keep that list in the back of your mind. If you get five others saying more or less the same thing, then you as an author need to make changes as many others are going to complain about the same things too and it’s going to hurt your novel on the long run if you don’t.

I went through this myself and I’m grateful for those reviews that told me what was wrong with my novel.

Getting review copies in front of readers takes time. You can use Goodreads groups, which is amazing when it comes to asking others to review or start emailing bloggers that likes the genre you read. I did this for months and months. It takes time and plenty of emailing, but you need to be determined and yes it did take me away from finishing more novels but it was needed at that time if I wanted my career to lift off as an author.

Then you get Amazon. I haven’t gotten all the ins and outs of that one yet, as I’m still too busy with Goodreads, but they say that you can contact reviewers on Amazon, how, I still need to figure that one out and if any of you know, please leave a comment so that we all know how to do that.
I ask people on a regular basis to review my novels. Virtual tours help too and the bloggers always write those Amazon and Goodreads reviews, 80 percent of the time. So virtual tours help with reviews too and it’s like two for one kind of deal.

Like I said, Reviews are important, they really work and all it costs is your time if you don’t have the money to do virtual tours.

But reviews should not make you feel that you are not in the right business because I promise you, you do have the fans that totally love the story.

I got many one and two star reviews and the funny part of this is that those ones and twos keep on giving me ones and two’s on all my novels. If they really didn’t care for it, why are they still reading it? Why do they keep on buying your novel? It’s because deep down inside they can’t get enough. So keep that in the back of your mind too. I always laugh when I see this, but I’m grateful for them as they still support me as an author and they still buy the book that they hate so much. It happens, really it does.

I hope you will look differently at reviews and not to be scared of asking people to read your novel. Some will praise you others, they will not like it, and some will absolutely hate it. Still concentrate on the once that can’t get enough. The faster you learn how to deal with reviews the better you are going to handle all of this. Another reminder, giving something for free, doesn’t mean they will not buy the novel. I’ve giving plenty of my novels for free, I love giving them away and it’s like the more I give them away, the more money I make.

Good luck
Adrienne Woods

And I hope you all enjoyed this post! Anna <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...