Wednesday, 4 March 2015

Book Haul Extravaganza

This post is coming to you 3 days later than expected, since my darling brother was kind enough to give me his virus... we're good at sharing in this family, but only when it comes to being ill. Currently I'm wrapped up in a blanket with a compress on my head trying to form coherent words other than "cake" - something I've had far too much of the past few days. You wouldn't think that's possible but after 2 birthdays & 1 special event... I'd beg to differ.

Which brings me to Saturday (you'll get why in a minute) when I was lucky enough to attend
This was an event put together by the lovely authors Kerry Drewery and Emma Pass up in Birmingham where I met lots of blogging friends including Hannah @ Hannah Mitchell (on youtube), Maia @ Maia Moore ReadsSally @ The Dark DictatorSofia @ The Reading Fangirl , Asmaa @ Asmaa the Critic , Makayla @ Always that Book Addict , Lucy @ Queen of Contemporary  JUST TO NAME A FEW!
Along with every, single, author, that I'd wanted to get books signed from!
Many of the books I bought before hand once the list of authors had been revealed on twitter, as well as a couple that peaked my interest while I was there (the deals helped!)
But before I get onto the individual books, I just wanted to mention how amazing this community is! Not just the UKYA part of it (authors & readers & bloggers alike) but everyone online and in person who has been able to join together in their love of literature. And love of cake! There were so many beautiful cupcakes - safe to say I had my fair share ;)
     I have lots more to say on the subject, which is for another time possibly because for now I have some books to show you!

I had only just started this book before the event, but already had it drawn me in and putting it down was hard. Meeting her was lovely and I mentioned how it was the gorgeous cover which first caught my interest, so she sent me a link for an interview with the designer which contains some of the other ideas and it's well worth checking out.
Since then I've finished the book and whooaaaaa it's epic! I can't decide how to take the fact Lou called me an angel, when the angels in her novel aren't exactly "angelic" - more on that in my review coming soon.
While I was there in Birmingham I bought the sequel Rebellion, after all I can't resist sales! I'm currently reading it and loving every second <3

The Name on Your Wrist by Helen Hiorns is one I'd already read in advance which meant I had the chance to ask about future related projects while getting it signed. Good news, there's a sequel being written! Naturally Helen is very busy in college but with an ending like that... I'm glad we get some more explanation.

Another one I picked up at the event is Glimpse by Kendra Leighton. It's inspired by Alfred Noys' poem "The Highwayman" which I hadn't heard about before but hearing her talk about it made me want to find out. Looks to be very dark and romantic, so I'm there.
True Fire by Gary Meehan was my last spur of the moment purchase. To be honest I don't know much about it, except that it features witches so I'm excited to get started soon.

After reading Emma Pass' other book, just before the event I bought The Fearless which is NOT the sequel to Acid. However there might be more to come; in her words "never say never."

The aforementioned Acid by Emma Pass which I read a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised by how well done a dystopian standalone could turn out to be. I'm definitely looking forward to more...

https://enchantedbyya.blogspot.comEarth Girl by Janet Edwards has been on my TBR pile for a while now so it was great to have an excuse to buy it sooner rather than later ;) also just look at that cover - beautiful <3 I've heard that the content is just as good, which is always promising.
With high ratings and an interesting plot including an underground prison for young offenders *cough*murderers*cough* Lockdown (Escape from Furnace #1) by Alexander Gordon Smith looks to be an amazing read. He is also the nicest guy, so it was great to chat. Of course cake/chocolate came up, because there was so much food there! Heaven.
The inspiration behind his other series The Fury is one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard :D Remember that game "murderball" people play in mandatory school P.E. that everyone dreads because it gets so vicious - that was the initial spark of inspiration! As someone who suffered through many lessons of this I'm excited to see how it relates in his novel.

Dark Days by Kate Ormand I also bought before hand so I could read it before meeting her (which I did and that itself surprised me since my plans are just about always disrupted; not being able to post for a while is an example.

And last but not least is Roses by Rose Mannering. I recently fell in love with fairytale retellings and have always wanted to write my own, so it was great to meet her and get advice as well as some recommendations of other books to check out.

So those were all the books I got recently, what have you added to your shelves?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...