Monday, 2 February 2015

Sample Review: The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen #1) by Jodi Meadows

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18081228-the-orphan-queenGoodreads Synopsis:
Adventure, intrigue, and romance combine in a new fantasy duology from Incarnate series author Jodi Meadows.

When Princess Wilhelmina was a child, the Indigo Kingdom invaded her homeland. Ten years later, Wil and the other noble children who escaped are ready to fight back and reclaim Wil's throne. To do so, Wil and her best friend, Melanie, infiltrate the Indigo Kingdom palace with hopes of gathering information that will help them succeed.

But Wil has a secret—one that could change everything. Although magic has been illegal for a century, she knows her ability could help her save her kingdom. But magic creates wraith, and the deadly stuff is moving closer and destroying the land. And if the vigilante Black Knife catches her using magic, she may disappear like all the others. . . .

The Orphan Queen delivers epic fantasy, perfect for fans of Graceling by Kristin Cashore, Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson, and Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. 


Review:
***I received the ARC eBook sample free as a review copy from the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review***

I was seriously debating whether I’d write a review just yet for this book, because little did I know (likely thanks to my own stupidity) that the ARC on Edelweiss was in fact just a sample of the book and stopped a third of the way through! Wasn’t that a nice surprise just as I was getting into the story… The signs were all there including its shorter length but I was so excited about reading The Orphan Queen that I took no notice. Apparently my face when I realised was quite the sight!

It doesn’t feel right to recommend a book, that I haven’t (and can’t) finish but that doesn’t mean I can’t review what I did read right? So please keep in mind that this short review will be for the first part of the book. No more. God knows that when it’s finally released (3 months away for me *grumbles*) my opinion might change drastically, in which case I’ll likely be writing another review!

However what I did read was fantastic. There was a lot of intricate world building but you were never bogged down with too many details at once. The characters were really interesting, and I already have a few suspicions about what’s going on with them, including the identity of a certain vigilante: Black Knife. Something is obviously going to happen between him and Wilhelmina; who I also found a great character but I’m going to have to wait to see that play out.

That’s where my enthusiasm drops somewhat, when I realise how long I have to wait: not for the next book but the second/third part of this one. So I’m keeping this review short and sweet.

My reaction to this book:
Favourite Quotes:
“I was going to have to face the man who'd destroyed my kingdom, and the boy who was the reason.” 

“The pain of what happened – it won’t last eternity.”
A lie. I knew very well how pain could last, and fester, and shape a person in unnameable ways.”

“The Ospreys, these children, were my life. Without them, I had nothing. But with them… With them, I would take back my kingdom.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...