Friday, 27 February 2015

Review: Trial by Fire (The Worldwalker Trilogy #1) by Josephine Angelini

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20613491-trial-by-fireGoodreads Synopsis:
This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying experiences that others in her hometown of Salem take for granted, which is why she is determined to enjoy her first high school party with her best friend and longtime crush, Tristan. But after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class, Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly, Lily is in a different Salem—one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruelest of them all is Lillian . . . Lily's other self in this alternate universe.

What makes Lily weak at home is what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. In this confusing world, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone and a love she never expected.


Review:
This book pulled me in with its intriguing synopsis and the second it really kicked off I was hooked. The first 50 or so pages which took place in Lily’s home universe were admittedly hard to get through because I was waiting for that action to get me out of my slump, but I was not disappointed.

There was always something going on or at least some disastrous plan being put into place, so I couldn’t (and didn’t) put this book down. One of the best things about this book was the world building. I’ve said it before, but it can either make or break a novel and sometimes I will stop reading if it doesn’t work. In Trial by Fire it was perfect. Josephine works it effortlessly into her writing along with the beautiful descriptions of the world.

I did have one problem with it though; there was a lot of science. It was a huge plotline with the comparisons of science to magic, the problems it’s caused and while it was interesting, when Lily started talking about nuclear energy etc etc it just went over my head. God, I’m taking science but it’s not something I usually want to read about in my books.

That aside though and this was a great quick read. The characters didn’t fall into the usual moulds with Lily as a main protagonist determined to be her own person but able to rely on others when needed, and Rowan who while exasperating at first gradually grew on me. Then there was Lillian who is a whole other story…

In the end I think fans of fantasy, even people outside of that genre are prone to liking this book, so I’d definitely recommend you give it a go.

My reaction to this book:
Favourite Quotes:
“The people who love you will guide you like bright lights into the other worlds.”

“There comes a day when every girl loses the stars in her eyes. And then she can see clearly.”

“Funny how quickly the mind moves, but how slowly time does when you’re in pain.”

"Did you sleep at all?"
"No." She heard him mumble something to himself and decided to cut him off before he could scold her again. "My butt did, though. Slept like a log all night."
"Well, obviously, your butt has more sense than you do."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...