Sunday, 8 February 2015

Review: Fallen (Fallen #1) by Lauren Kate

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6487308-fallenGoodreads Synopsis:
What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours?

17-year-old Lucinda falls in love with a gorgeous, intelligent boy, Daniel, at her new school, the grim, foreboding Sword & Cross . . . only to find out that Daniel is a fallen angel, and that they have spent lifetimes finding and losing one another as good & evil forces plot to keep them apart. 

Get ready to fall . . .


Review:
Here’s my problem: I enjoyed this book, but I also had an endless list of problems with it. So that’s why instead of my normal formatted review, it will be 2 lists with what I did and didn’t like. Maye that will help me decide once and for all… or maybe it won’t.

What I liked:
·         Cam. He was one of the only tolerable characters because he was willing to kick the shit out of Daniel, and knew how to get what he wanted (in a normal way, like I dunno asking a girl out instead of ditching her in a forest *cough*Daniel you douche*cough*).
·         The plot. Though we barely see any of it there looked to be some important war going on in the background that I’m hoping will play a bigger part in following books. God knows if I’ll pick them up though…
·         Luce’s parents. Even I couldn’t put up with Luce! Their reaction seemed completely normal, even if in their daughter’s eyes they should have tried harder to understand her *rolls eyes*
·         A gorgeous cover. And it actually relates to the book *falls off chair in shock*. Usually when it’s just a girl in a pretty dress, it’s shallow and has no meaning but this time I could see the correspondence; so props to the cover designer.
·         The side characters? Sometimes… I’m really scraping the barrel here because I have nothing else.

Onto things I wanted to hit with a bat, then chuck off a cliff into a raging river full of piranhas:
·         Luce. I just hated everything about her. The way she’s so full of self-pity and self-importance, her weird fixations on people, and the lack of curiosity towards anything weird. More on all of these in upcoming points.
·         The insta-stalking (worse variation of insta-love). When a guy gives you the finger on first meeting, refuses to talk at all and spends most of the time staring with dirty looks, DO NOT STALK HIM! He’s not interested and you’ll come off as pathetic.
·         Luce dragging Penn to research the Grigori family history, and then wanting to back out for no apparent reason! Grow a back-bone girl and stick with your guns.
·         Luce spends more time trying to “work out” Daniel than figuring out what the shadow things are that have followed her for years, and may or may not have killed a fellow student she liked romantically which then landed her in a reform school in the first place *deep breath*
·         Daniel. Again, I have a list: 1) Hot and cold personality. 2) Knows something might kill someone and what does he do? You guessed it, he does it anyways for selfish reasons. 3) Expects people to trust him when he’s treated them awfully. 4) A bad case of abandoning people without explaining: it does not make you seen mysterious, just a douche.
·         The story dragged. First 300 pages were teen angst, and then more teen angst. Where’s the mystery? The intriguing plot? Oh right, it was never here.
·         The reveal. Making it such a huge deal when readers worked it out from the get go (it’s in some of the synopsis’s for goodness sake!) just seemed condescending.
·         Luce’s response to the big reveal. She runs away. After spending the whole book searching for answers by invading people’s privacy in their personal files, and seeing supernatural shadows when she gets the truth it’s too much for her little brain to handle and she runs. I’m needing some serious character development from her to have any kind of sympathy.
·         The death. I was waiting, and waiting, and waiting for someone to die. There’s a whole list of people I wouldn’t have grieved starting with Luce, but no, it had to be someone I liked. For god’s sake there was no point to it either! It was just brushed over, when it should have had a much greater impact and had more than 2 lines reflection before going back to Luce’s self-centered “who will save me” act.
·         The decisions. There were sooo many from sooo many different characters who didn’t learn from their mistakes. And they made lots!
·         The story’s message. Every story has an underlying message but while this book claims it to be love, the version included made me cringe with its un-believability. Makes the book seem pointless…

Getting all my thoughts out in this way makes it pretty clear what I thought about Fallen. It was a mess. I might try and read the next book, because a tiny part of me that won’t shut up, wants to see where the plot is going so this book didn’t seem like such a waste of time. However whether that plan will even work is beyond me and in Lauren Kate’s hands.

So I can’t recommend this book. Not unless you like a predictable YA angsty romance between two downright infuriating protagonists who have less brain cells combined than it took me to read this book.

My reaction to this book (and Luce):
Favourite Quotes:
“Trust is a careless pursuit at best. At worst, it's a good way to get yourself killed.” 

“The only way to survive eternity is to be able to appreciate each moment.” 

“I do all of these things," Daniel said, leaning into her so that their foreheads touched, "because you're my love, Lucinda. For me, you're all there is.”

“She spotted a lone dandelion,and it crossed her mind that a younger Luce would have pounced on it and then made a wish and blown. But this Luce's wishes felt too heavy for something so light.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...