Thursday, 12 February 2015

ARC Review: Apprentice (The Black Mage #2) by Rachel E. Carter

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23300435-apprenticeGoodreads Synopsis:
She survived a trial year at the Academy, but that was just the easy part…

Now sixteen-year-old Ryiah is an apprentice in Combat, her school’s most notorious faction of magic. When she finishes she will be a mage, but in order to do so she has to survive four years with a training master she hates and her old nemesis, Priscilla. To make matters worse the unwanted attraction Ry feels for her sometimes-friend-sometimes-rival Prince Darren is at an all time high –even though he is betrothed to the very girl she can’t stand.

Really, the only bright spot to Ryiah’s new life is the time she spends with her friends, including an older apprentice named Ian, who she finds herself thinking about quite often.

Just when things start to get comfortable they take a turn for the worse. An apprentice is killed in a rebel attack and several mages end up dead. Unwittingly, the apprentices find themselves in the midst of a budding unrest between Jerar and its northern neighbor, Caltoth. For Ryiah the impending conflict means many things, but as her apprenticeship draws to a close she finds her biggest problem at home.

Unfortunately for her, Darren’s not going anywhere.


Review:
***I received the ARC ebook free as a review copy from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review***

Just give me a second to stop dancing round my room and grinning like a fool… okay, I’ve calmed enough to write this review, though the grin is going nowhere anytime soon!

This book is more than I could have hoped for, with all the awesomeness from the first book there isn’t a doubt in my mind that it deserves all the stars in the sky for a rating. The second it was on my phone, I was reading it and when I had to put it down (school’s annoying like that) I was counting the hours until I could continue. Even walking between classes it was in my hand; thankfully I didn’t crash into any other students or, god forbid, teachers!

What definitely stuck out to me while reading this was the romance. A promised love triangle always puts my guards up, but I found that I loved it just as much as everything else in Apprentice. There was plenty of angst to go around, and rightly so, but I never hated anyone/anything for it. Unlike many, many other series which I won’t go into since they’ll take forever to name…. I actually found myself warring over who was best with Ryiah, and even after a few doubting moments my heart remains with Darren: the brooding un-heir.

However this didn’t distract from everything else going on. And there was lots happening! With a span of 4 years, we see action and character development to the max. The “side characters” like Ella and Alex were engaging, and never truly felt like they weren’t just as important to the story and it’s other characters. The different types of love showcased, between family and friends warmed my heart. This is where the constant grinning came in.

All in all, Apprentice is one of those books which you want to read in one sitting but at the same time you want to make last as long as possible. I went with the former (to be honest my heart demanded I had no choice) and loved every second. The only problem being, I now have to wait 9 months for a sequel. I can be patient… or I can at least try…

My reaction to this book:
Favourite Quotes:
"I'm not that pitiful little girl you bullied last year."
"My apprenticeship is more important than strangling Master Byron. I repeated the motto over and over again. If I said it enough times it would become true, or so I hoped."
"I wanted to dance. I wanted to be swept up in the long desert night, sending a farewell to the fallen and embracing the living."
“I was tired of my traitorous heart wanting things that were taken.
Or, more importantly, people that I didn’t want to want.”
"It's an easy thing to want someone, it's another to love them."
"I respect you, Ryiah. I told you last year you were the only good thing aboutt he Academy and I meant it. You aren't like anyone else here, or any person I've ever met. You've overcome so much and yet at the end of it you are still kind. You still care."                                                             "I don’t want to be the person to make you mad or cry, Ryiah. I want to make you laugh. I want you to make me laugh, because gods know you are the only one who can. So, yes, I am sorry, I am sorry because even if I was right, I was also wrong. And I’d rather lose a silly battle than your friendship.” 
“I told you not to trust a wolf,” he continued. His words dripped like honeyed venom. “Because it would only ever want to break you.” Darren let out a small, harsh laugh. “Haven’t you figured it out yet? I’m the wolf, Ryiah. I guess what I really should have told you was to never trust a prince, but that’s not quite as memorable.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...