Monday, 22 December 2014

Movie Review: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1951265/IMDb Summary:
When Katniss destroys the games, she goes to District 13 after District 12 is destroyed. She meets President Coin who convinces her to be the symbol of rebellion, while trying to save Peeta from the Capitol.


Review:
I wanted to start off by saying that I didn’t like the book Mockingjay. Don’t get me wrong, this series is one of my all-time favourites, but the last book let it down and I’m not the only one to think that either. So with that out of the way onto the movie…

It was fantastic. It completely blew my mind and was above and beyond my expectations, even when I loved Catching Fire so much. That was another of my worries, that it wouldn’t live up to the previous movie in the franchise but it did!

There was so much more action, but more prominently there was a lot of raw emotion. This movie is dark. It’s portraying a war, where thousands die, and people go crazy. Oh my god, it was so well done that my heart broke time and time again.

As always the acting was on point, particularly Jennifer Lawrence, and I also noticed the transgression of how she was made to look younger throughout the movie, so it really hit hard that Katniss is still only 16 years old. I also have to mention her singing, because we were made to believe she couldn’t sing (especially since in one of her other movies “House at the End of the Street” she only lip sings and it’s not even her pre-recorded voice) but she can. I couldn’t get The Hanging Tree out of my head for days…

All the other characters were so great; I loved Effie’s humour and fashion advice on President Coin which actually made me crack up. I still left the theatre feeling god damn awful but that was the director’s intent and I couldn’t be happier about it (sounds weird I know).

Boggs and Finnick in my eyes should have had more screen time, because they played much bigger roles than let on. Especially Finnick’s heart-breaking story which could and should have been so powerful, but was slightly overlooked by the action scene taking place at the same time.

What really made me cry, and cry rivers, was Peeta. Even now, a month later, the thought of his deteriorated state makes me want to break down and rock in a corner. Every scene he was in had me holding my breath, and everyone in the theatre did the same. Josh Hutcherson did an amazing job at conveying the unimaginable pain and delivering it so beautifully.

A great film, which blew away my expectations and left me hanging.
Favourite Quote:
Katniss Everdeen: “Fire Is Catching… If we burn, you burn with us!”

President Snow: “Miss Everdeen, it is the things we love most that destroy us.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...