Friday, 12 December 2014

ARC Review: The Bargaining by Carly Anne West

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22456909-the-bargaining?from_search=trueGoodreads Synopsis:
The fact that neither of her parents wants to deal with her is nothing new to Penny. She’s used to being discussed like a problem, a problem her mother has finally passed on to her father. What she hasn’t gotten used to is her stepmother…especially when she finds out that she’ll have to spend the summer with April in the remote woods of Washington to restore a broken-down old house.

Set deep in a dense forest, the old Carver House is filled with abandoned antique furniture, rich architectural details, and its own chilling past. The only respite Penny can find away from April’s renovations is in Miller, the young guy who runs the local general store. He’s her only chance at a normal, and enjoyable, summer.

But Miller has his own connection to the Carver House, and it’s one that goes beyond the mysterious tapping Penny hears at her window, the handprints she finds smudging the glass panes, and the visions of children who beckon Penny to follow them into the dark woods. Miller’s past just might threaten to become the terror of Penny’s future….


Review:
***I received the ARC eBook free as a review copy from the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review***

Did not finish at 75%.

I simply could not get into this book. From the second I saw the cover and read the synopsis I thought it was something I’d like or even love, but after I started reading nothing stood out to catch my interest. With no expectations I still managed to be disappointed. Granted I did stick it out to 75% but I must have skim read at least half of that which is something I naturally hate resorting too. 

Eventually though I put it down because I’m not one to continue reading a book I’m not enjoying when there are so many others out there I know (or at least hope) I will.

However I thought it only right to explain why. The biggest problem for me was the snail-slow pace and also as I already said nothing stuck out in the writing. There was barely any paranormal mystery happening in the first 50% and instead we got a main character that spent her time in an old house complaining. A lot. Penny didn’t go so far as to infuriate me with her self-pity because I simply didn’t feel anything for or about her.

There were no connections to other characters either and the supposed love interest had no chemistry with Penny resulting in no romance. The part he played was miniscule compared and left me wondering what the point was.

I probably stopped too soon to judge much on the paranormal side of it because I didn’t make it to any big revelation; the mystery leading up to it however was boring and not for one second was I scared. It was a handprint here and a twig breaking there *cough*100 pages later*cough* but that was it with no follow ups or even emotion. I could very easily put it all down to Penny being bat-crap crazy and to be honest that is enough of an ending for me.
Favourite Quotes:
“It’s not just bad people who do bad things.”

“If I could erase it all, I would. But here’s the thing about “would”. It’s the most useless word in the entire dictionary because it has no place in any point in time. It’s a stand-in for an imaginary space between what might happen and what actually happens.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...