Sunday, 16 November 2014

Review: The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #3) by Rick Riordan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/561456.The_Titan_s_CurseGoodreads Synopsis:
IT'S NOT EVERYDAY YOU FIND YOURSELF IN COMBAT WITH A HALF-LION, HALF-HUMAN.

But when you're the son of a Greek god, it happens. And now my friend Annabeth is missing, a goddess is in chains and only five half-blood heroes can join the quest to defeat the doomsday monster.

Oh, and guess what? The Oracle has predicted that not all of us will survive...


Review:
I don’t remember this being one of my favourites when I first read it, and that largely came down to the fact that the main characters spent a lot of time (not always by choice) away from each other and so you lose the dynamic they have together which I simply love reading about. However as you can see from the 5 star rating, I still completely loved it!

What I thought before remains true this time around, but it was a lot easier to overlook. I also came to appreciate the way it made room for introductions to new characters that were great additions to the story; and not replacements for the ones I love which my 12 year old self thought. Nico was definitely my favourite among them because there’s so much to his character whereas Bianca seemed a little one-sided and I did not understand the decisions she made.

Thalia was definitely the most significant addition, being the daughter of Zeus and all, which is why I still found myself surprised by her role; it was like she came back from the “dead” and seeing that Luke wasn’t the hero she thought he was decided to “leave” again.

Percy remained true though and I simply love that (along with everything else) about him. Even thinking that he was no longer the child of the prophecy he steps up to be the hero on more than one occasion.

Plot wise, I think this is the book where it starts to get serious. The prophecy is always lurking in the background along with its threat of war so naturally the story takes a much darker turn. However I still found myself laughing out loud and enjoying myself as I sped through this brilliant action-packed novel. This series is a must-read.
Favourite Quotes:
“The most dangerous flaws are those which are good in moderation," she said. "Evil is easy to fight. Lack of wisdom… that is very hard indeed.” 

“Love conquers all," Aphrodite promised. "Look at Helen and Paris. Did they let anything come between them?"
"Didn't they start the Trojan War and get thousands of people killed?"
"Pfft. That's not the point. Follow your heart.” 

“In a way, it's nice to know that there are Greek gods out there, because you have somebody to blame when things go wrong. For instance, when you're walking away from a bus that's just been attacked by monster hags and blown up by lightning, and it's raining on top of everything else, most people might think that's just really bad luck; when you're a half-blood, you understand that some devine force is really trying to mess up your day.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...