Sunday, 30 November 2014

Review: Phantom Wolf by Kia Carrington-Russell

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22404103-phantom-wolfGoodreads Synopsis:
Sia is a Phantom Wolf. Neither dead nor alive—and rotting from the inside—she is on the edge of her curse. Once a Phantom Wolf has been created, they hunt their blood pack and slaughter all their loved ones. Except for Sia, who woke years after her death to find herself rampaging through the land on a lonely path. She continues to run from the rival pack that hunts her because she is a Phantom Wolf. Attracted to a scent, Sia finds her old best friend, who is now a grown woman. Having once saved Keeley, Sia takes the role of protector yet again, despite Keeley’s involvement with the mysterious Alpha, Kiba, and his kin brother, Saith. An ambush separates the pack and the four of them blindly fight the new warriors that attack them: desperately needing to find out where the attacks are coming from, as Sia has vowed to protect Keeley. But at what cost? Now being chased, Sia finds herself conflicted by the mortal and spirit world while trying to protect her kin. Sia must confront her fears, as well as the human lover who killed her many years before. It is not only survival Sia contends with, but her own façade that must be broken so that she may find peace within herself once more.


Review:
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

This is a story about love and betrayal, redemption and what it means to sacrifice. I was drawn in by the action but captivated by the amount of emotion I felt from the story and its characters which quickly worked its way into my own heart. I always look for a story that makes me feel something, anything, good and bad; Phantom Wolf had it all.

Sia was such an amazing protagonist who didn’t swamp herself with self-pity no matter how awful her past as well as present circumstances were; and if that wasn’t enough to be admired about, her fierce devotion to her friends and loved ones was beautiful. I loved how they affected her changes, and it made the conclusion all the more emotional.

As I’ve already said this is a very emotional character-driven story so of course the side characters had to feel just as real. Before I move onto the love interest Kiba, I thought his brother Saith and Sia’s kin Seeley needed a brief mention. They felt just as important to Sia’s growth as well as the storyline; so I found myself I was rooting for them just as much.

The villain of the story was viciously wicked and though you don’t see much in present time, the memories were always haunted the background.

Now you might have noticed that I’ve been putting off talking about Kida… To be honest, all I can get out is that he was the perfect man/wolf/angel (in hypothetical terms only) for Sia *goes to cry in corner*.

I encourage all young adult readers to pick up Phantom Wolf, and while you’re at it Kia Carrington-Russel’s other series The Three Immortal Blades! My reviews can be found here: Possession of My Soul & Possession of My Heart. It’s obviously very different but just as enjoyable.
Favourite Quotes:
“For now, I must fight to live, no matter what kind of life that might be. I must always fight.”

“He let out a large exhale and I felt his weight quickly under me, lifting me. Before I count react, I was already standing, so I let myself fall dramatically back onto the bed.
“Are you kidding me?” Kida exhaled, frustrated.”

“You want to run. You want to fight. You say all these things about being a monster and yet…” He slowly found his way in front of me. “You want to be held. You want to be loved. Because deep down, no matter how dead you may say you are, you know it is the one thing you can’t stop doing.”

“In truth we do not know how long we may have on this plain. Perhaps we shouldn’t damn ourselves with reservation and instead truly accept what is most attractive to our hearts.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...