Thursday, 13 November 2014

Review: The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1) by Rick Riordan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28187.The_Lightning_ThiefGoodreads  Synopsis:
Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.


Review:
I feel as though I could read this book over and over and never get tired of it. My opinion hasn’t changed since I first read it when I was 12 years old because I love it just as much!

In fact I’m pretty sure I learnt more Greek Mythology from this book/series then I ever did in school, and that remains true to this day! I love how it was woven into the story and no matter how much you knew beforehand you could pick up on the details as you flew through. It was modernised in a great way with its own unique tales and twists.

Combined with lots of action and adventure, it always had the potential to be great but it wouldn’t have been the same without the amazing set of characters. Percy is one of my all-time favourites because he is the perfect mix of bravery and humour but also vulnerability. On the other hand I was never particularly fond of Annabeth, yet I found myself liking her a lot more as I re-read it. Then there’s Grover of course who is simply amazing; enough said. The relationships these characters have are so nice to read about and prove that it’s not only about romance in books; friendships are just as important and meaningful.

I remember being able to relate to this when I was younger, particularly Percy as a character and the same goes for today. I’ve heard 20 year olds, even 40 year olds loving these characters and the series in general which is an amazing thing. So if you haven’t already, pick up this series because similar to Harry Potter it is something you will love no matter your age, gender or demigod status.
Favourite Quotes:
“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.”

“Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.” 

“What horrible things would you have to do in your life to get woven into Hades' underwear?” 

“The real world is where the monsters are.”

“I won't go looking for trouble. I usually don't have too.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...