Tuesday, 18 November 2014

Review: The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #5) by Rick Riordan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4502507-the-last-olympian?ac=1
Goodreads Synopsis:
All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds are against them. Kronos is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, his power only grows.            

In this momentous final book in the New York Times best-selling series, the prophecy surrounding Percy‘s sixteenth birthday unfolds. And as the battle for Western civilization rages on the streets of Manhattan, Percy faces a terrifying suspicion that he may be fighting against his own fate.


Review:
Rick Riordan is a genius.

This is how you finish a series, and after the disappointment of so many of other final installments to come back to a series that I love which has an ending I love just as much is a breath of fresh air.

Granted there were a few things I didn’t like so much and I wanted to get them out of the way first; and this largely included the completion of the prophecy. I still found myself surprised with how it played out but I think there wasn’t nearly enough emphasis on that final decision and also the way it kind of skipped the fact it was Percy’s birthday until after…

Putting this aside though, The Last Olympian was a heart pounding, action filled adventure with friendships as well as relationships that will twist your heart and give you all the feels! As a re-read I didn’t expect to find myself constantly on the edge of my seat or screaming at characters, but Riordan has an amazing ability to keep the story new no matter how many times you read it and this is something I know I’ll cherish along with the series when I come back again years later.

For now though, I can see more of the amazing characters in the Heroes of Olympus series and while I know it’s dangerous to go into a book with high expectations, I simply can’t help it! It will have Percabeth and if that doesn’t get my hopes up for a spin-off I don’t know what would.

I definitely recommend people stick with the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series to the very end because it was well worth it, and I can’t stress enough how you won’t regret picking the first book up in the first place (of course if you’re reading this book it’s likely you’ve already started for which I applaud you).
Favourite Quotes:
“With great power... comes great need to take a nap. Wake me up later.” 

“It's hard to enjoy practical jokes when your whole life feels like one.” 

“I don't recommend shadow travel if you're scared of:
a) The dark
b) Cold shivers up your spine
c) Strange noises
d) Going so fast you feel like your face is peeling off
In other words, I thought it was awesome.” 

“I'm afraid not." Hades sighed. "My son here convinced me that perhaps I should prioritize my list of enemies." He glared at me with distaste. "As much as I dislike certain upstart demigods, it would not do for Olympus to fall. I would miss bickering with my siblings. And if there is one thing we agree on - it is that you were a TERRIBLE father.”

“She looked at me, like she was drinking in the fact that I was still here. And I realized I was doing the same thing. The world was collapsing, and the only thing that really mattered to me was that she was alive.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...