Saturday, 15 November 2014

Movie Review: Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters


Summary:
In order to restore their dying safe haven, the son of Poseidon and his friends embark on a quest to the Sea of Monsters to find the mythical Golden Fleece while trying to stop an ancient evil from rising.


Review:
I remember hating The Lightning Thief movie as an adaptation, because it was so unfaithful to the book. To quote myself “I don’t honestly know how it got away with it because not only did they miss out loads but changed the remainder so that it barely resembled the book” and this meant that I reluctantly watched this movie anticipating them to slaughter it. However I was pleasantly surprised…

It was no award-winning movie and will never be one of my favourites, but anything could have been better than my poorer than dirt expectations. Following a little more faithfully to Rick Riordan’s book it was enjoyable, but I would say that if you detested the first with a passion keep away from the movie franchise. I don’t even know if they got enough profit to warrant its continuation. Nevertheless this movie was a way for the producers and directors to redeem themselves in the eyes of the book’s fans, which they did in a way.

It was still filled with cheesy one-liners and countless faults, including little things like Clarise and Percy not constantly at each other’s throats; as well as more significant things like Grover’s mission to find Pan and the scene at Siren Bay. This wasn’t just an important bonding moment for Annabeth and Percy but for the viewer, and also leads on to the questioning of our heroes’ fatal flaws.

Overall though it wasn’t a complete flop, so long as you don’t take it too seriously and go in with quite low expectations, but I will always love the books no matter what the movie producers come out with and I’m glad they can’t change that.
Favourite Quotes:
Annabeth: “You used to be one of us.”
Luke: “And then I woke up.”

Mr. D: [Mr. D poured some wine into a glass but it turned to water immediately - a punishment from Zeus] "You know, the Christians have a guy who can do this trick in reverse [looking up at sky, as if speaking to Zeus] "now that's a god."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...