Sunday, 2 November 2014

ARC Review: How We Fall by Kate Brauning

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21865261-how-we-fallGoodreads Synopsis:
Ever since Jackie moved to her uncle's sleepy farming town, she's been flirting way too much--and with her own cousin, Marcus.

Her friendship with him has turned into something she can't control, and he's the reason Jackie lost track of her best friend, Ellie, who left for...no one knows where. Now Ellie has been missing for months, and the police, fearing the worst, are searching for her body. Swamped with guilt and the knowledge that acting on her love for Marcus would tear their families apart, Jackie pushes her cousin away. The plan is to fall out of love, and, just as she hoped he would, Marcus falls for the new girl in town. But something isn't right about this stranger, and Jackie's suspicions about the new girl's secrets only drive the wedge deeper between Jackie and Marcus--and deepens Jackie's despair.

Then Marcus is forced to pay the price for someone else's lies as the mystery around Ellie's disappearance starts to become horribly clear. Jackie has to face terrible choices. Can she leave her first love behind, and can she go on living with the fact that she failed her best friend?


Review:
***I received the ARC eBook free as a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

I want to start off by saying that I can’t wait to read How We Fall again! Which I know sounds weird when I read it only a few hours ago… but it’s one of those reads that you speed though so quickly without realising to be left spinning when it’s all over which you can’t quite believe.

This book seemed to have a fairly simplistic storyline but looking back at the details, I can see how cleverly woven the mystery was in the writing. It worked perfectly to keep my interest which is always a worry when I decide to read a contemporary because I often can’t immerse myself in a world that’s so similar to my own and therefore don’t enjoy it nearly as much as I’d like. However Kate Brauning’s beautiful story felt like the opposite of this, and I couldn’t put it down.

The forbidden romance was much more centre stage then I imagined before starting, and for a while I didn’t understand how this could work when they inevitably “broke up” but once again Brauning proved me wrong.

I loved Jackie as a protagonist because it was so easy to connect with her on many levels, and her personality along with her pain simply radiated out of the pages. I always understood where she was coming from even when I disagreed with some of her actions. Granted Marcus was as much to blame; I thought the way he dealt with everything was worse than Jackie and so I lost some of my sympathy for him. However saying this I could never hate either of these characters and was always rooting for their relationship to work.

The message that just because people think something’s wrong, doesn’t mean they’re right rings true in so many circumstances and the ability to do what makes you happy no matter what other people think is a lesson I believe everyone can learn. So even though I couldn’t relate to Jackie’s particular love life it all felt real and you can take different things from it.

On a lighter note Will was easily my favourite character in this book, and I definitely wish we saw more of him. But in the end How We Fall was an incredibly enjoyable and moving debut by an author that I can’t wait to see more of, and who I’d like to thank for the chance to read her stunning book.
Favourite Quotes:
“He was an island of sanity in a household of anything-goes chaos. I never felt like I didn’t fit in when he was around, because we were our own group. He and I.”

“Don’t let something make you miserable if you can do something about it. If that’s what makes you happy, go for it.”

“Pretty, friendly, and new to town, because disasters come in threes.”


“She laughed at something, and, ever so casually, touched his knee. Yesterday, that would have made me want to smack her. But today – no, today is still made me want to smack her.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...