Sunday, 26 October 2014

Review: The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner #1) by James Dashner

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6186357-the-maze-runner?from_search=trueGoodreads Synopsis:
If you ain't scared, you ain't human.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.

Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.

Everything is going to change.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

Remember. Survive. Run.


Review:
It was hard to go into this book without being influenced by the hype, and I failed miserably but it meant I had both high and low expectations. It’s had such a mixed range of reviews and I think I understand where they’re all coming from now because even though on the most part I enjoyed it, there were plenty of parts I didn’t.

For example while the plot was very mysterious and had a very large set-up intended to keep the reader in the dark I didn’t find myself surprised by the outcome, except the reasoning behind the “flare” which is something you won’t have a clue what I’m talking about unless you’ve already read it. The place was quite slow which allowed time to “get to know” all the different characters and their situation. It was incredible seeing how they had managed to come together creating their own little world in the Glade, with designated jobs to keep it sustainable.

A lot was down to luck or even convenience to the plot, particularly the way Thomas remembered things just when he needed them etc. I never connected to Thomas the way I love to in novels, and it wasn’t simply because he was a boy but the fact that his “heroic” actions seemed to be more stupid than anything else and the other characters agreed! Chuck was easily my favourite character, and it’s only one of the reasons I wanted a different ending.

I think it will lead on nicely to the next book, and I’m definitely intrigued to read on. The Maze Runner even with its flaws was an enjoyable book and despite the fact that it isn’t the best dystopian out there (and also reminded me of The Lord of the Flies which I hated having to read for school) I’m excited for more.
Favourite Quotes:
“You are the shuckiest shuck faced shuck in the world!”

“It's kind of hard to ask a dead guy what he did wrong.” 

“Though something told him there was a better chance of Gally bringing him flowers than of passing a day in the Glade with nothing strange happening.”

“Shouldn't someone give a pep talk or something?" Minho asked, pulling Thomas's attention away from Alby.
"Go ahead," Newt replied.
Minho nodded and faced the crowd. "Be careful," he said dryly. "Don't die.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...