Friday, 10 October 2014

Review: In the After (In the After #1) by Demitria Lunetta

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12157407-in-the-after?from_search=trueGoodreads Synopsis:
They hear the most silent of footsteps.
They are faster than anything you've ever seen.
And They won't stop chasing you...until you are dead.

Amy is watching TV when it happens, when the world is attacked by Them. These vile creatures are rapidly devouring mankind. Most of the population is overtaken, but Amy manages to escape—and even rescue “Baby,” a toddler left behind in the chaos. Marooned in Amy’s house, the girls do everything they can to survive—and avoid Them at all costs.

After years of hiding, they are miraculously rescued and taken to New Hope, a colony of survivors living in a former government research compound. While at first the colony seems like a dream with plenty of food, safety, and shelter, New Hope slowly reveals that it is far from ideal. And Amy soon realizes that unless things change, she’ll lose Baby—and much more.

Rebellious, courageous, and tender, this unforgettable duo will have you on the edge of your seat as you tear through the pulse-pounding narrow escapes and horrifying twists of fate in this thrilling debut from author Demitria Lunetta.


Review:
Aliens are very big in YA still but while books like Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout and The 5th Wave won me over, I wouldn’t have picked up this book if the emphasis wasn’t on post-apocalyptic. HOWEVER, I enjoyed it because without spoiling anything, they’re not exactly aliens…

I thought the idea behind this plot wasn’t completely original and I’ve seen it before but then all apocalypse books stem from the same idea. This didn’t mean that it wasn’t interesting and while I guessed from the start the reason behind the invasion, it didn’t get to the point where I was chucking the book at the wall screaming at the characters for not figuring it out sooner (which has happened before I'll add).

Amy was a complete bad-ass. She survived for years on her own in silence when I wouldn’t have lasted more than an hour tops; no matter how many alien and/or zombie books I read I’d still die first if they became real. I loved the relationship she had with Baby, and yes her real name is Baby though I can’t imagine how stupid that name will be when she’s an adult, never mind an old lady!

When they were together in the start it had a very choppy pace because they spent a lot of time doing absolutely nothing but surviving and then others leaving the safety of the house to get resources which didn’t always end well… This continued to after they were brought to New Hope when it turned into a part mystery novel as you had to figure out what the sections in italics were all about and when/if they happened etc. There was so much switching of time frames that it occasionally just made the writing fall flat.

In the end though I definitely enjoyed it and would recommend to boys and girls alike, because the romance was virtually non-existent and it was much more of a zombie survival novel than anything else.
Favourite Quotes:
“All of Them are monsters, but not all monsters are Them.” 

“I’d always escaped into books, but now reading had become something more. It allowed me to be somewhere else, to feel something else, not just the numbness that overtook my body and made me wonder if I was still alive.”

“People don’t expect a small Japanese girl to be able to break a man’s arm.
“They didn’t assume you were a ninja?”

“Gareth once told me that ignorance was bliss and I’d responded that ignorance was dangerous. We were both right. But which is better?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...