Saturday, 18 October 2014

Movie Review: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

IMDb Summary:
A teenager discovers he's the descendant of a Greek god and sets out on an adventure to settle an on-going battle between the gods.


Review:
I never do reviews with spoilers and if I ever did I’d give a warning, but for this movie I’ll make the exception even though it’s so loosely based on the book that it spoils absolutely nothing! I don’t honestly know how it got away with it because not only did they miss out loads but changed the remainder so that it barely resembled the book. This might not be so bad if Rick Riordan’s book wasn’t so fricking amazing! When I wrote this review it had been a long time since I read the series but still I noticed so many differences I can’t even imagine how bad it would be if I watched the movie again recently.

The director Chris Columbus has a lot to answer for that’s for sure. You’d think that after directing a couple Harry Potter movies he’d know how to do it (stick to the book as much as possible) so I don’t understand how he could stray so badly. I saw one fan say and I agree 100% "not sticking completely to a Potter book...understandable, they are 1,000 pages each...Not coming close on a book 350 pages long...not forgivable." I could make a list of everything major he missed including Kronos, Ares (a hell of a lot of Ares; there was no fight scene what so ever and he got no blame) plus Clarisse, Mr. D, the furys and the oracle. There was no prophecy. Just let that sink in a minute. No oracle: no life-changing, ground-breaking prophecy!

So don’t watch the movie expecting any of these things and more, basically don’t expect an adaptation of the book.

Don’t even get me started on the actors… I could be petty and point out the smaller things like Annabeth’s hair wasn’t her signature blonde, or Poseidon wasn’t wearing his signature Hawaiian shirts, but that could go on forever and it’s easy enough to get over and even change in movies to come. However I can’t believe how old they are. Percy Jackson was played by Logan Lerman who was 17 years old at the time, yet Percy is supposed to be 12. Same with Annabeth who was even older at 23 years old.

I can almost understand where Columbus is coming from but if he can make child actors work with Harry Potter what makes this so different? Especially since the whole series is working up to Percy’s 16th birthday because of the prophecy… but oh wait! The missed that out didn’t they… *rolls eyes*

Maybe if you’re not a fan or simply haven’t read the books you might enjoy this fan but I can’t help but refer back and it honestly can’t compare.
Favourite Quote: 
"Guess we all got Daddy issues, huh?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...