Friday, 12 September 2014

Review: Strikers by Ann Christy

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22491021-strikers?from_search=trueGoodreads Synopsis:
One hundred and twelve years after the fall, the Republic of Texas is built on two foundations: total freedom and total responsibility. Every citizen is free to do what they like, when they like, but they must take responsibility for each action. With such an ideal to strive for, life should be good and for many, it is. But there are flaws in every system and some people will always fall through the cracks.

Karas Quick has fallen through almost every crack there is. Her mother is an abusive alcoholic. Her father is a long missing Striker with four strikes against him and a date with Justice should he ever be found. At sixteen, she just has to survive two more years until she reaches majority without getting five strikes. But it’s getting harder not to fight back and earn yet another strike tattoo on her neck.

Everything changes one ordinary day watching the latest catch of smugglers and Strikers being returned for justice. Within their ranks is the father Karas can’t even remember. And he has a message.


Review:
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

It was the synopsis that originally intrigued me to look at this book, because (and I know I’ve said it before) but it didn’t look like anything I’ve read before. I always love finding new books that have totally original plots, so Strikers was a real win for me on that front.

It also started well enough, with very believable characters including Karas and Jovan. Karas was a very strong headed heroine who didn’t necessarily know where life would take her, nor comfortable with where it eventually turned but it was great watching her adapt, finding herself in the process. Among her companions is Jovan who I’ve already mentioned, and for a love interest he was fairly distant so without revealing any spoilers I’ll just say that their relationship isn’t the clearest, even at the very end.

The end is left open for a sequel but it wraps up all the events in this book nicely, so it’s not one of those torturous cliffhangers that leaves you dying as you wait for the next book and it’s likely only people who’ve fallen in the love with the characters will pick it up. Depending on what appeals to individuals, will determine who likes this type of ending anyway.

Also there isn’t much action in this book, at least compared to other books that I’ve read recently, so again this will only appeal to specific people and while I appreciate how Christy still managed to keep it interesting, this didn’t match my mood right now.

Overall, however I did enjoy Strikers and with Christy being a self-publisher I hope that she gets the recognition she deserves for her book. You never know... the parts that didn’t work for me might be the exact thing you look for. I hope they are.
Favourites Quotes:
“Life is entirely too short for fear to be a factor in how we live it.”

“It was easier to pretend I didn’t miss him. Of course, I had lost more than a friend when that happened. He was my first boyfriend, my first bad kiss and then, my first heartbreak.”

“A gunshot is a terrible thing to wake up to.”

“The last of our luck is well and truly behind us. At the moment, I’m questioning whether or no we’ll ever catch up to it again.”

“If this is the end of my life, at least I can have the final moments of it with Jovan, who I have loved since I was too young to understand what love was.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...