Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Review: Possession of My Soul (The Three Immortal Blades #1) by Kia Carrington-Russell

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21878763-possession-of-my-soul?ac=1Goodreads Synopsis:
The Three Immortal Blades is a captivating story about Karla Grey, an ordinary young woman struggling with a unique ability. Karla is a Shielder; an exceptional fighter born with the rare ability to project a shield for protection. However, Shielders are not the only kind that possesses such a talent. The Shielders battle a war that has been raging for centuries against the Starkorfs, who endeavor to harvest humans and Shielders alike to obtain immortality and power.

Amidst the chaos of war and death that surrounds her, Karla must also confront the charming Elemental Breathers. Powerful and volatile, the mysterious Elemental Breathers are quick to conjure up the element they inherited power over at birth. Unfortunately for the Shielders, the Elemental Breathers also have at their disposal a depth of knowledge unmatched by any living being, making them indispensable to the Shielders in their quest for truth.

Whilst engaged in battle Karla begins to hear a woman’s voice echo in her head and throughout her dreams. Karla faces many new and daunting challenges while simultaneously searching for a reason as to why the unknown woman seeks to possess her body.

Karla must unravel the purpose of her curse. Finding herself embroiled in a bitter war armed with a talent she has yet to gain control over, she fights to find a way to end it all. But first she must learn to never let her shield down. The woman manipulating her thoughts may be dormant for now but she has every intention of possessing Karla. Mind, body, and soul.

Karla must choose between right and wrong: the charming Lucas and the selfless Paul, death and life, lies and truth. Within this new reality the search for the Three Immortal Blades starts.


Review:
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

I thought I was going into this book not knowing much, and it’s only now that I realise even though there were a lot of twists the synopsis was very revealing. It didn’t ruin the book for me at all though, because like I said I only just realised!

This might be because Possession of my Soul is Kia’s first novel, but I have to say it’s a very impressive kick start into the bookosphere (that’s now officially a thing… because I said so…). Her writing isn’t amateurish like some people expect from debuts and her style was very clear from that start. Filled with action sequences and generally never a calm moment, this was my type of book. Simple as that.

At times it felt rushed, or explanations about the little details were skipped so the plot could move faster and the perfectionist readers out there might not like that so much, but I found it just made it a lighter read (as light as you can get with so much possession and death)!

On the whole, I really enjoyed this book (even though at the start I wanted to punch Karla; however she did grow on me when she got stronger for the people she loved which was an admirable feat) and I look forward to reading more of Kia’s work.
Favourite Quotes:
“Pancakes! I jumped from my bed excitedly and jogged to the kitchen: my quick morning run.”

“Why am I so weird all the time? Then again, having conversations with myself in my head doesn’t help.”

“It’s my blood I carry. My soul I carry. My body. None of it belongs you to you,” I said, striking my hand out and watching her do the same.”

“I will protect him until I know he is safe and then I will have to leave him behind. I cannot be so selfish as to try to drag him into this war because of my own pain and suffering.”

“Some old traits never die, isn’t that right Kurt?”
“And some are easily fixed with death. It was you who always taught me that,” Kurt said ruthlessly.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...