Sunday, 28 September 2014

Review: The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave #2) by Rick Yancey

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16131484-the-infinite-sea?ac=1Goodreads Synopsis:
How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.

Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.


Review:
This is such a hard review to write because for one of my most  anticipated books of the whole year, I’m simply disappointed.

It started out promising with a prologue that blew my fucking mind, followed by some confusion on whose POV it was, but the second it got to Cassie’s I was in. I loved her in the 5th wave and now she is even more badass than ever, she even goes up against Ringer which I loved to see.

The plot was detailed and had so many revelation moments only to crush them down a second later with utter confusion of what was really going on. This whole book was a mass of confusion and twists because one second someone was dead, the next they weren’t. One second the aliens aren’t real, the next they are! One second I wanted to shoot someone in the head, the next I didn’t!

Rick Yancey managed to capture the essence of dystopias well, including all the gritty aspects of desperation and pain.

But it simply wasn’t enough.

Over halfway through this book I was ready to put it down. From the first page I was enraptured but the second I realised the big chunk of writing that takes up half the book at the end is not from Cassie’s POV but Ringer’s I wanted to throw it at the wall. Simple as that. I never liked Ringer, I didn’t think I would, but I read it anyway hoping Rick Yancey would prove me wrong to judge so harshly. He didn’t.

No amount of 5 second plot twists can make up for an infuriating character like Ringer. There was no attachment with her like so many other characters (including Cassie) and I simply didn’t care what happened to her. In a way it made this short book half the length.

What’s worse is that it was something I tried so hard to overlook, only to find that it wasn’t in my eyes worth it anyways. It sounds ridiculous being one dramatic scene after the next but none of it made much of a difference to the end and only brought up more questions to be answered in the next book.

It means only one thing, that The Infinite Sea has Middle Book Disease.

Like with any other filler book it was setting up for the sequel and Yancey did this by making you think. Thinking about all the reasons why things are as they are, all the possible outcomes and everything in between. He does this amazingly well no doubt about it, but I was expecting much more.

For example the romance aspect went down a hole to die, even with a special someone back from the grave… There was plenty of action to go around but I couldn’t help thinking there wasn’t much point to it; especially since there was rarely an outcome other than everyone gets hurt but lives.

I will still read the final instalment which I hope focuses more around the characters I actually like, and otherwise I feel there would have been no point reading this instalment! It brought up questions that I need answered, and I can only hope it’s done better than this.
Review:
“You never know when the truth will come home. You can’t choose the time. The time chooses you.”

“It isn’t that the lies are too beautiful to resist. It’s that the truth is too hideous to face.”

“No hope without faith, no faith without hope, no love without trust, no trust without love. Remove one and the entire human house cards collapses.”

“You make your whole existence dependant on another human being you’re asking for a world of trouble. Think of every tragic love story ever written. And I didn’t want to play Juliet to anybody’s Romeo, not if I could help it. Even if the only candidate available was willing to die for me and sitting right beside me holding my hand and looking deeply into my eyes with the not-so-gah-now eyes the colour of melted chocolate. Plus being practically naked under those covers and possession the body of a Hollister dude . . . but I’m not getting into all that.”

“That’s the cost. That’s the price. Get ready, because when you crush the humanity out of humans, you’re left with humans with no humanity.
In other words, you get what you pay for, motherfucker.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...