Thursday, 4 September 2014

ARC Review: In a Handful of Dust (Not a Drop to Drink #2) by Mindy McGinnis

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20359647-in-a-handful-of-dustGoodreads Synopsis:
The only thing bigger than the world is fear.

Lucy’s life by the pond has always been full. She has water and friends, laughter and the love of her adoptive mother, Lynn, who has made sure that Lucy’s childhood was very different from her own. Yet it seems Lucy’s future is settled already—a house, a man, children, and a water source—and anything beyond their life by the pond is beyond reach.

When disease burns through their community, the once life-saving water of the pond might be the source of what’s killing them now. Rumors of desalinization plants in California have lingered in Lynn’s mind, and the prospect of a “normal” life for Lucy sets the two of them on an epic journey west to face new dangers: hunger, mountains, deserts, betrayal, and the perils of a world so vast that Lucy fears she could be lost forever, only to disappear in a handful of dust.

In this companion to 
Not a Drop to Drink, Mindy McGinnis thrillingly combines the heart-swelling hope of a journey, the challenges of establishing your own place in the world, and the gripping physical danger of nature in a futuristic frontier.


Review:
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review***

I didn’t read the synopsis before I started this book with the assumption that it would simply follow on from the last book Not a Drop to Drink. That’s why I was so surprised when I realised the story wouldn’t be focused around Lynn, but Lucy her adoptive daughter. I’m not exactly sure how old Lynn must be because she adopted Lucy when she was only seventeen and a lot has changed since then.

Most prominently for me was Lynn’s personality. She’s still the same bad-ass as before, with her shoot-first think later attitude but with Lucy she takes up a very motherly figure and it added depth to her character. I didn’t however like how it made her grow up so fast; from the start of book one she was already independent and saw the world through the cold eyes of someone who’s seen too many hardships too young and this influenced her character but I wanted to see how it developed even more with the events in this book. You see it through Lucy but I would have preferred it in her eyes.

This is also because I simply didn’t connect to Lucy. She had a refreshing influence on her surroundings including the people, but even with Lynn’s protection against a harsh childhood such as her own, a less trusting attitude would have added another layer to her character. For those people who didn’t necessarily like Lynn’s outlook on life in Not a Drop to Drink, Lucy will be well-received providing a very different perspective. I simply wasn’t one of them.

There was very little romance and excitement in this book so it was a much slower read than I’m used to and appreciate. The messages about love and sacrifice, while all there were too subtle; particularly since I felt they were the only things that were supposed to be a strong focus point in the book.
Favourite Quotes:
“It's going to be hard––everything worth doing is.” 

“I’ve been trying to do better about killing people,” Lynn said. “Then fate puts you in my path.”

“My mother gave me life; saving it was your choice. The only gift I give is death.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...