Monday, 1 September 2014

Review: The Healer by C. J. Anaya

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22393715-the-healer?from_search=trueGoodreads Synopsis:
Seventeen-year-old Hope longs for a normal teenage life, but with a gift like hers, normal equals healing illnesses and injuries instantly. Keeping a secret like that isn’t easy, especially when two handsome, young men move into town and begin unearthing other secrets concerning Hope’s future and past, revealing to Hope that her gift may be the fulfillment of a prophecy gone wrong.

Review:
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

I did it again. I read a book thinking it was a standalone, then despairing because it was part of a series. Though not in the way you think, no, I loved this book, which is why with such an amazing but killer ending I am desperate for the sequel that is yet to be released! Anyone who knows me personally will understand I am not a patient person, but I will wait (somewhat patiently) for the sequel because I need to know what happens next in this thrilling story.

It follows the journey of Hope, a girl who is anything but ordinary. With a gift that meant she could heal almost anyone instantly I was curious to see the way she used it and how this then affected her character. She is kind and selfless; thinking of others before herself (even when she doesn’t realise it) and if I was in her position I could only hope I’d have the same traits. However it didn’t get to a point where it was unbelievable, and this made it easier to relate.

I also loved the way her more “normal” teenager side shone through with the arrival of Tie and Victor. Tie and Victor *heartfelt sign* couldn’t be more different; Tie being the tortured soul who does not suffer in silence, and Victor the earnest prince who sweeps you off your feet; however saying that I can’t say I’ve picked a side. I’m usually the first to judge characters, especially new love interests, picking sides and rarely shifting them but I was going back and forth on this one, and it was a refreshing change.

It helped that there’s a lot more to their story than meets the eye, and even at the end of the book you don’t know everything. They play a part in the much bigger picture Hope didn’t even know she was a part of, and hold great influence. Hope can’t deny this about them but she still manages to hold her own when everything/everyone is trying to coerce her to do this or that.

Told from her POV I was captivated from the very start of the book, all the way to the last page. The Healer is a very quick read that mixes mythology and fantasy creating a great dynamic what will leave you wanting more.
Favourite Quotes:
“I wanted answers, and I was afraid of what those answers might be.”

“The elevator and I had a love-hate relationship. I hated that it made me wait longer than was necessary, and I was convinced it loved making me wait.”

“This is completely unacceptable. Your investigative skills are getting rusty, Angie. You usually have a guy’s entire life history memorized within the first ten minutes of him showing up on your hot guy radar, and all you know about this one is his first name?”

“Yeah, okay we got it. Death and destruction await those that dare oppose you. My biceps are bigger than your biceps. Blah blah blah.”

“I see you trying to be everything for everyone just in case there’s a chance that you’ll be too late, but Hope, honey, people die. You can’t save the world.”
“I can try,” I whispered determinedly.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...