Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Review: The Giver (The Giver Quartet #1) by Lois Lowry

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3636.The_Giver?ac=1Goodreads Synopsis:
Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.


Review:
I know a lot of people read The Giver as part of school English, but since I didn’t I knew that I was going to before I saw the film. From what I heard it was a classic, and one of the first dystopian books that started the whole craze, yet I found it boring.

That’s what I would have expected from a book you’re forced to read as part of English because teachers hate us like that, but it wasn’t what I was expecting after the major hype from people with similar tastes to my own.

I found the whole thing rather bland (and not because that’s the point of the world Lowry created) but because there was no action, or romance to get behind; or even characters that stood out and made you root for them. It wasn’t a very enjoyable read in general; sure it was quick, but that was because it had such a small page count and not because I was so interested that I flew through.

It was basically a screwed up utopia, which now that I think about it is the premise of most dystopias. However it seemed to me that it could be easily fixed if The Giver simply backed off and stayed huddled away in his little corner, until Jonas would replace him and do the same. It may seem a little shallow of me; I know this is where people comment on the book’s depth and everything, but it seems like the easiest answer. (Also I don’t think I care enough about the people in the society to want change to happen).

This is just one aspect where the movie looks to be very different from the book; after all it’s what Hollywood does best, right? Even from the trailer I can see that there will be more action and maybe even a little romance between Jonas and Fiona that was non-existent in the novel. So I will see it, but I won’t be continuing the series, especially since I have the option which some poor students didn’t.
Favourite Quote:
“The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...