Monday, 1 September 2014

Review: Demons at Deadnight (Divinicus Nex Chronicles #1) by A&E Kirk

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16067683-demons-at-deadnightGoodreads Synopsis:
For seventeen-year-old Aurora Lahey, survival is a lifestyle. 

DEMONIC DESTINY 
Aurora has the crappiest superpower on the planet. And it's just unleashed a hit squad from hell. Demons are on the hunt, salivating to carve her carcass into confetti. 

CHARISMATIC KILLERS 
The Hex Boys--mysterious, hunky, and notorious for their trails of destruction--have the answers Aurora needs to survive. But their overload of deadly secrets and suspicious motives makes trusting them a potentially fatal move. 

LETHAL ALLIES 
The battle to save her family, herself, and stop demonic domination may cost Aurora everything worth living for, and force her to reveal her own dark secrets. But no worries. She needs the Hex Boys to pull this off, and, chances are, teaming up with these guys will get her killed anyway. 


Review:
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

I’m going to have to be careful writing this review to make sure it doesn’t simply end up with me ranting on about how much I love The Hex Boys, so I’ll start with my other thoughts before I move onto my new boyfriends. For example, when I went in to this book I confess I was anxious by the fact it was written by two people; admittedly after talking to them I knew they were a really nice mother and daughter duo but everyone seems to have their own style and this usually comes across in their writing.

I feel stupid looking back because the writing was brilliant! It merged together beautifully (definitely didn’t feel like different chunks), and full of hilarity that I can only wish for in my own, made it so much more enjoyable. Written in the perspective of Aurora who is such a great and relatable character with her genuinely caring personality, and I was instantly emerged in the story. Add in 6 impossibly attractive guys and you couldn’t separate me from them I mean this book…

My Hexy Knights are simply perfect. I love Aurora but can I just have them all? Every single one has such an amazingly original personality with lots of layers, and this is so much better than just having the looks (but don’t get me wrong it doesn’t hurt that they’re the epitome of swoon-worthy).

Out of all of them, I am of course talking about the one and only Ayden when I say this. *Heartfelt sigh* is it wrong that I want Aurora to knee him in the balls, yet kiss him at the same time?

Then there’s the loveable genius Jayden who has a frequent problem with putting his foot in his mouth. An example: “Are you twins?"
"Yes. Very good." Jayden nodded. "But not identical. Fraternal. We developed from two distinct eggs. Identical twins develop from the splitting of one egg and-"
"I know," I said. "I've got a pair."
"Of eggs?" Jayden said."

And that’s why we love him.

There’s also Matthais aka The Aussie aka the sassy jerk everyone wants to punch once in a while (or every time he opens his mouth). Blake: the charmer. Tristan: the protective sweetie. And Logan: the shy but mess with my friends and you die one.

Together they equal some u-n-f-o-r-g-e-t-t-a-b-l-e scenes filled with hilarious banter.

But I can’t overlook all the other things that make this such a great book, like the suspenseful plot and action scenes with demons who have great vocabulary. So all in all if you want a YA read that will make you laugh out loud, and is plain awesome: pick up Demons at Deadnight. I didn’t realise what I was missing until I found it.
Favourite Quotes:
“I launched into a graceful ninja-like front roll, then stood my ground to face the monstrous heathen, fearless in my determination to vanquish the deadly foe. 
Nah, just kidding. I bolted, discretion being the better part of not getting dead.”

“It would probably strip my flesh while giving me vocabulary lessons. I'd be dead but smarter. How's that for glass half full?” 

“Boys next door were supposed to be fresh-faced with fair skin, butterscotch-blond hair they brushed out of clear blue eyes, and a smattering of freckles. They were also supposed to be friendly. We’d moved in a week ago and this kid had avoided us like we were a family of spitting cobras on crack.” 

“The demon did it” excuse, while more creative than “the dog ate my homework,” was still as unbelievable. And much more likely to get me sent to the psyche ward.”

“Your dad wants to know if ‘fine’ is code for ‘please come home, I’m being held hostage by hormonal maniacs.’” Pause. “And if said hormonal maniacs are listening he wants them to know he will cut off vital body parts and watch them bleed out a slow and torturous death then bury said body parts on different continents throughout the world so he will never be brought to justice and will revel in their excruciating demise for the rest of his life because they have the nerve to cause his daughter any discomfort whatsoever.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...