Sunday, 17 August 2014

ARC Review: The Space in Between by Jen Minkman

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21849253-the-space-in-betweenGoodreads Synopsis:
When Moira helps out her sister and brother in a Wiccan ritual on Halloween, the last thing she expects is to be swept away to a mystical wilderness. Sitting within the stones of the ancient circle of Penmaenmawr, Wales, she's convinced it's an illusion. But the dark-haired, handsome man with amnesia that Moira meets during her trance cannot be blinked away like a dream.

Hayko, the mysterious stranger, won’t let go. After returning home from her stone circle adventure, Moira is beckoned back night after night to the outlandish dreamland by an invisible force. But the hardest part isn't having to fight the terrifying creatures of these nightmares--it's realizing she’s falling for a guy without a past who isn’t real.

What if you really can fall in love with the man of your dreams?


Review:
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

I was so excited to hear from Jen Minkman again after reviewing her series The Island, about her brand new book The Space In Between, and I couldn’t say no to a chance of reviewing ahead of schedule after I enjoyed her previous work so much. Her plots have always seemed so interesting to me with their originality and almost feel like a step away from the books I often read. I have to applaud her writing as well because translating from Dutch to English is no easy feat and she’s managed it perfectly, I also have to thank her for it because it’s meant I had the chance to read her books!

This one in particular caught my eye because the synopsis doesn’t reveal much and again it wasn’t something I’d necessarily heard before. Albeit it took me a few chapters to really get pulled into the story, because as with any book it takes a while before you get a feel for the characters. When that happens the plot really kicks off, and The Space in Between was no exception.

I simply loved Moira the main protagonist because you can learn so much from her. Balancing a part-time education, with a job, family and friends not to mention her ADHD she’s always had a busy life and is reluctant to let other people do things for her. Yet she doesn’t realise how much her boyfriend is in fact influencing her decisions and how she lives her life. Only when she meets the mysterious Hayko in her dreams that she begins to find herself again when she never realised she’d been lost.

But with these revelations comes the fear of change. She’s ready and believes she can make it through coming out stronger than before, with loss comes gain, but making that decision when it affects others is difficult. Sometimes you simply have to think of yourself and do what you know is right in your heart, because the second you let others dictate your world you’ll lose what makes it unique to you.

Not only did I love reading about this, but it made me think about my own life and I’ve found Minkman has a special talent for relating things to the real world outside of her books. Even when they are about things as unbelievable as wiccan powers and all sorts of paranormal antics.
Favourite Quotes:
“Dear sister. I may not understand every little step you take and move you make, but I accept you just the way you are. Is that good enough for you?”
Sudden tears welled up in her eyes. “Yes,” she sniffed.”

“This was all she needed – a dead guy who talked like some Zen master trying to be her therapist.”

“I love you too,” she whispered back. No matter how true those words were, to her they felt like a goodbye.”

“Something about this guy had her hooked or no apparent reason. Besides the fact that he was really hot, of course.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...