Tuesday, 26 August 2014

Review: Into the Blind by Helen Rena

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21523811-into-the-blind?from_search=trueGoodreads Synopsis:
In a world where everyone is gifted, be it in dancing, lightning-bringing, or death-giving, Ever is born…all-powerful. 

For this gift, she is kidnapped and trafficked at birth. Fifteen years later, Ever still hasn’t seen even a glimmer of her powerful gift. Locked in an abandoned mall in New York City, she’s fighting to survive her captivity, her brutal guards, and the other gifted kids in her cell. She would do anything to escape.

Fox is gifted with time manipulation. Like Ever, he hasn’t come into his gift yet; like Ever, he hates the mall; and like Ever, he longs to be free. But there’s one thing he values above his freedom—it’s Ever’s love…

…yet, when the two make a desperate attempt to escape, this attempt proves so dark and twisted that it just might destroy Ever’s love for Fox.


Review:
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

I still can’t quite get my head around everything that happened because it was so surprising, but what I do understand without a doubt, is that I loved it. It was fast-paced, thrilling, dramatic and unbelievably enjoyable. What really made this book though was the ending… that ending… just wow…

I can’t say what happened because it would be such a major spoiler, but I can say that it had me gaping at the book like a beached goldfish as my mind in denial failed to comprehend. You simply need to read this book, so then you get it and we can rave together!

What’s even better is that it isn’t just this moment which made me love this book, but all the little ones up to it. Many authors can come up with a big twist every now and then, but not all can make you just as interested in the downtime moments and care just as much about the characters when nothing (I say nothing but there was always something going on in this book) is happening to them. Helen Rena is one of the amazing few. So I need more of her work.

As I’ve already mentioned her talent for writing is undeniable, the characters she creates feel incredibly real and easily relatable so the connections you have with them feel just as real. In particular was the main protagonist Ever, she is incredibly brave and you can’t deny she’s been through a lot already but still there is more to come. I loved following her journey of self-discovery; watching her change and develop, and not just in her powers.

It was also interesting seeing how she acted with her friends companions.

In the end, with a story that had intrigued me simply from the synopsis and characters that had me from the get go: Into the Blind is a suspenseful read that I can’t express how much I enjoyed. My only problem is that I need more! It works well as a stand-alone, yes, but I simply want to know what happens next. Instead I’ll just have to re-read another time so I can see it from the different perspective, after all because beggars can’t be choosers.
Favourite Quotes:
“You are too kind to scold me, so I will do it myself: I am a moron.”

“But there are plenty of laws nobody has ever broken. Like gravity, for example. Or morality. Or the law that everyone poops now and then. And besides, it’s insane to build your life on hopes of being an exception to some rule.”

“By the ninety-eighth floor, however, all that stopped entertaining me; on the 112th, not to go crazy, I forced myself to quit wondering if this cursed building had an elevator; and after the 150th, I stopped counting the stupid floors.”

“And then the floor careened under my feet, but not because I couldn’t stand or anything like that. No it was because Ii was laughing–killing one’s enemies was so much fun.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...