Tuesday, 12 August 2014

Blog Tour: Sins of the Fallen & Greed by Karina Espinosa

Review: Sins of the Fallen (Sins of the Fallen #1) by Karina Espinosa


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21536364-sins-of-the-fallen?from_search=trueGoodreads Synopsis:
When seventeen-year-old Maximillion Taylor and his best friend, Jones go to a house party, he doesn't expect to get kidnapped—much less by a succubus—and she's not the only one on the hunt. Thrown into a world of angels and demons, where nothing and no one is what they seem, Max ventures to find his true identity and learn to fight the demons who pursue him. When his origin is revealed, it's a race against the clock for a battle that will determine whether he can protect the ones he loves or succumb to his true nature. Through lies, betrayal, love and pain, Max must prepare to face the demons before it is too late…


Review:
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

So far I’ve found that I can love a book just as much when it’s written in a boy’s POV, and Sins of the Fallen is no exception. It might of course help that Max is brilliant, don’t believe me? The book begins with him dressed in drag wearing a red dress. Explanations needed? Then read the book (yes I know I’m a horrible person…)!

I loved reading from Max’s POV because not only is he hilarious, but he can admit when he’s out of his depth, and that’s a good thing because when he’s suddenly faced with angels and demons, he’s going to need some help.

This help comes in the form of Angela and Jones. I don’t want to spoil anything so instead I’ll just say that I’m not on either of their teams. Angel needs to get her head on straight, and Jones needs to stop acting like the world is against him. It isn’t. Even though I am.

I loved this book nevertheless. It’s filled with romance, and mystery and supernatural beings; what more could you want? Stuck in the middle is Max as he goes on a journey of self-discovery, learning not only who and what he is, but who to trust and who has truly betrayed him. There were times when I wanted nothing more than to scream at the characters, times when I didn’t even understand completely understand what just happened. Times when I didn’t know what was coming next and couldn’t turn the page fast enough to find out.

And I just have to mention that ending. It was brutal! Nothing could have prepared Max or myself for it, and for his Dad to go and do what he did… unforgiveable. (I don’t think I could have made that more mysterious if I tried actually!)
Favourite Quotes:
“The thought of being home was more of my liking. The alcohol, the partying and the supposedly sleeping around is just what I’m required to do – you know the whole high school experience.”

“You know Mister Taylor, everyone has a purpose in life, whether it’s to lead, follow, create, etcetera. But we tend to let anger, heartache, and even ignorance – as well as other emotions – stand in the way of fulfilling the destiny that has been paved out for us, all because of fear of the unknown. Yes the unknown variable is frightening.” (…) “And yes, it is much easier to stay away from this all, but when we are destined for remarkable things, we are caught in a crossroad of choices and sometimes the dangers outweigh the reward. It’s never easy, but it’s a choice none the less and one that is quite the burden.”


Review: Greed (Sins of the Fallen #2) by Karina Espinosa


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22027806-greedGoodreads Synopsis:
Maximillion can never return to the normal life he once had—not now that he's Wrath—one of the seven Nephilim. After the failed battle with Abbadon and his demons, the death of a loved one, and the betrayal of the person he trusted the most—Max was forced to go into hiding. But not before devising a plan to look for answers: to search for the other Nephilim.
Max and his best friend/guardian angel, Jones are on the run for a month before their first clue leads them to Sin City, Las Vegas to find the Nephilim of Greed. But Nikolai's reluctance to help and fear of an unknown force leaves Max with more questions than answers. 
Will he discover who is hunting the Nephilim? And if he does, can he overcome the forces of evil against them?
Find out in the sequel to Sins of the Fallen, where Karina Espinosa pulls readers back to the saga unfolding in the world of angels and demons—a world where everything falls part.


Review:
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

As you can tell from the 5 stars I gave this book, I loved it. Simple as that. Just like the first it is filled with action and a fair share of mystery as Max faces even more problems. He knows what he is, but not the full extent of what it means so he’s still on this road of self-discovery, but this time he has a very different attitude… He says himself that the old Max is gone; this new Max however is still brilliant. He’s fearless and it means he takes the plot in directions I never expected. There’s suspense and uncertainty around every corner.

I know the plot is probably the most important aspect for a good book and I think I’ve already established it is amazing, which leaves the characters. Now, the first book ended on a cliff-hanger that to be honest had me ready to chuck the book out the window; I was fuming! Not at the book which was great, not even the author, but one specific character. Angela.

She is one mighty piece of work and after what she did there’s no forgiveness. Never mind the way she acted afterwards when their paths finally crossed again, she must have felt some guilt! No matter her reasons/excuses for what happened, an apology is the least she could do. You could argue that why I feel like this because after reading the book from Max’s perspective I’m prejudiced, but in reality, I came up with this conclusion all on my own. Angela deserves nothing more than to be burnt to a crisp slowly and painfully (I’m sounding like a psychopath now, but bear with me) the only doubt I have is that if Max killed her he wouldn’t be able to live with himself after. You can do a lot of things in the moment that you come to regret, and for something as big as killing the girl you loved it needs a little more sensible thinking.

Aside from Angela, we welcome back Jones. He’s grown on me considerably particularly when he picked Max’s side, but he’s overshadowed by the new introduction of Greed. Greed aka Nikolai gives Max a run for his money. He’s sarcastic and funny, but you can see there’s more to him than meets the eye. After living for thousands of years he has a fair few stories to tell, so it’s great to see some from his perspective. Actually, it was great seeing anything from his perspective.

With the arrival of these new characters as well as the return of the ones we already love (and/or hate) this sequel was one hell of a ride. A great continuation of the story, that I can’t wait to see conclude.
Favourite Quotes:
“I wasn’t the Maximillion from before, I wasn’t scared of anyone anymore. Never again was fear going to take over me; I had nothing left to lose.”

“Hope is a fickle thing. Sometimes I don’t even know why I still have any, it has never done me any good.”

“Even if I wanted to tell him, the answer was stuck in my throat. It’s like that fear when you want to raise your hand in class, but you’re not sure if you have the right answer and don’t want to sound stupid. That’s what that choking fear that keeps me from expressing my thoughts feels like.”

“Can we go through a drive thru? I got the munchies,” Nikolai broke into the tense silence.
“I’m gonna kill you!” Jones said as he reached into the back seat, hands aimed for Greed’s neck.”

Tour-Wide Giveaway Two $10 Amazon gift cards open INT


a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...