Friday, 25 July 2014

Review: Shadows and Light by Melissa Haag

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22242692-shadows-and-lightGoodreads Synopsis:
Reap the Shadow, Slay the Light I don't know what I am, but I'm not human...and neither are the creatures that killed my mom. Running will only carry me so far because there's a darkness within me, ready to destroy me, and a burning light, begging for escape. It's the light that screams to my pursuers and works them into a frenzy. Though the darkness might kill me, releasing the light might kill us all... 

WarWolf: Half breed Ema fights to suppress her werewolf emotions and deny her warlock powers. It isn't easy being a half-breed, but she is determined to slide through life unnoticed by either group. When the warlock leaders team up with humans to force paranormal registration, Ema believes she must choose between her two unwanted worlds. An unexpected companion shows her not all emotions are bad, and power has its benefits.

Moved "Werewolves are real but the legends are wrong..." It's the secret Gillian's father has tried to keep from her and the reason he's so overprotective. But, he goes too far when he exiles Gillian to a house in the middle of nowhere. Her new landlord, Racer, is more like a cute jailer who has strict orders to keep her safely trapped. Battle lines between independence and obligation are drawn as Gillian decides just how far she's willing to go to win back her freedom. And Racer needs to decide what he's willing to endure to keep her close.


Review:
I haven’t read many books made up of individual, unconnected novellas; only novellas that are part of a series, so this was new but really exciting. I found it was actually really easy to get into the different stories even being really short which my one worry was. Saying this though, they were each about 80 pages so still a decent length (but not long enough).

Now, to be honest I wasn’t quite sure how to review this book, whether to do mini-reviews for each novella or a general one but since the 3 synopsis above are better descriptions than I could have done without spoiling too much I won’t go into that kind of detail.

The characters were all well-developed so (and I know I will keep referring back to this) even though they’re not described to the extent they would in a full length novel, you had a good feel for them and could understand where they were taking the story. Melissa also managed to convey the story brilliantly well, with no sudden information drops that you’d expect from a novella with no series backing it up. This meant it kept an even pace, and this worked for all 3 novellas.

I have to say the concepts were equally as good, and not the classic vampire/werewolf/angel stories which made it interesting. I have nothing against those stereotypical paranormal stories and if you’ve seen any of my reviews you’ll know I love them, but everyone wants that unique story which will stand out from the rest and stay in your head. Melissa did this effortlessly, with not just 1 but 3. If they were full length novels I’d still read them in a heartbeat, but it was nicely done this way I’ll admit (I almost forgot they were novellas and when the last one abruptly finished it took me a while to get over it!).
Favourite Quotes:
“You are mine. You are the light to my darkness… the reason for my continued existence.”

“You’re trying so hard to deny what’s inside you that you don’t know who you are anymore.”

“Yummy had been hiding under a layer of cranky-pants. I really hoped I would see less frowning and more abs from now on.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...