Thursday, 10 July 2014

Review: Rouge (Rouge #1) by Isabella Modra

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18139344-rouge?from_search=trueGoodreads Synopsis:
“You have a fire inside of you.”

Hunter Harrison desperately hopes her guardian Joshua is joking when he confesses – very solemnly – that she is pyrokinetic. Hunter would normally laugh in his face, if it didn’t explain all the spontaneous fires that happen only when she’s nearby. Still, the logic is a little hard for a smart, socially isolated eighteen-year-old to comprehend. That is, until Joshua explains the truth behind her parent’s death.

Spun into a new life filled with cold truth, terrifying wonder and a mountain of responsibility, Hunter faces the flames dwelling inside her. But the fire is more deadly than Hunter can comprehend. It explodes when she’s angry. It erupts when she’s afraid. And, worst of all, it threatens the life of her boyfriend Eli, who is innocently unaware of her abilities.

So how does an extraordinary teenager juggle dealing with superpowers between work, graduating and keeping her hormones in check?

Simple. By fighting fire with fire.


Review:
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

I have no idea where I got the idea that this was a fantasy novel because it was about superheroes through and through. Usually I don’t like these kinds of books because it’s the typical good-guy-beats-bad-guy routine that I try my best to avoid, but as I received it for free by the author I thought it deserved a proper read so I battled through Hunter being the most hormonal teenager I have ever read about.

It took me a while to warm up to Hunter, because in a way she was too relatable. Her reaction (more like freak out) to finding out that magma flowed through her veins is understandable, I would have a mental breakdown! But you want book heroines to be stronger than that, even when they are going through the whiny teenage girl stage, you don’t want to listen to a load of complaining about how hard life is and every other self-pitying phrase you can come up with.

Eventually though her strength shone through, and you could understand where Eli was coming from when he called her fiery (her temper was definitely fiery, no pun intended). And on to Eli. He was, well he was perfect. The classic caring geek immediately captured my heart, so I understood how Hunter fell for him so quickly.

In the end, even with an annoying protagonist I did enjoy the book. It is the reason why it got 3 stars instead of higher (something I didn’t think I’d consider after figuring out it was a superhero book). Even with how much I didn’t like Hunter, I do understand why the author tried to make her more “human” than other authors have with their protagonists and it will also open her up to more development as the series goes on. Which I will definitely be reading, (actually I’ve already started), because that cliffhanger was torturous. WHY? JUST WHY! Why do authors do that to us?! I know it’s because we’re kind of crazy and like it, but still! The epilogue revealed whole new sides of characters, and without revealing anything I’ll just say that I hope he/she makes the right choice.
Favourite Quotes:
“He sounds like a poem.”
“He is. There are no flaws about him.”
“Honey, everyone has flaws.”

“So he did the only thing he could think of doing; he pulled her to him once again, wrapped his arms around her and held her tight. That way, she couldn’t see the tears that were spilling from his eyes.”

“Fate, God, whoever, had cursed her with no real family but gifted her with a purpose. And it wasn’t until now that Hunter realized that.”

“You said to never give up on what you believe in. And I believe in us, Hunter. I’ve never been so sure of how I feel about anything in my entire life.” His strange green eyes swarmed with passion and warmth. “I’m in love with you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...