Thursday, 31 July 2014

Author Interview: Melissa Haag

Melissa Haag, the author if the very original novel Shadows and Light (you can find my review here) has done me the honour of an interview! I just so happened to love her book, giving it a full 5 stars so I can’t express how happy I am that she agreed to do this. Without further ado, here’s the interview:

1) Hi Melissa, thanks for sparing some time for this interview, can you tell us a little about your book Shadows and Light?
Thanks for having me, Anna! Shadows and Light is actually three short stories that carry a common theme: the light of dark of each heroines struggles.

2) What made you decide to write 3 novellas and combine them instead of 3 full-length novels?
They started at brain breaks while writing (Un)wise, book three of the Judgement of the Six series. The plotting for the series was really melting my mind, and I needed a diversion. Thus, Moved was born. Then, Reap the Shadows and Slay the light. Warwolf was actually a request from a friend. He wanted something with magic. :)

3) Can you pick which novella was your favourite to write and why?
They all have aspects I love. The dark intensity of Reap the Shadows and Slay the light wasn't something I'd written before, and I found I really liked it. Writing an emotional male in Warwolf had me laughing like a mad scientist at times. And the playful antics in Moved really hit a chord with me. I'm a bit of a prankster myself...just not to Gillian's level.

4) You have a range of characters in this book all with different voices, how hard were they to distinguish while writing or did they have clear character traits in your head?
I'm so thrilled you found their voices distinct. In my head, their voices are very unique. It should probably scare me that I'm hearing distinct voices in my head...

5) If you could swap places with any character from any book, including your own or another authors who would you choose?
Do I have to just pick one? lol

6) What is the best/most rewarding part of writing for you in general?
Hearing from readers. I love reading the reviews (good and bad), the emails, and the comments on my website. It makes the effort I put into writing, worthwhile.

7) How and when did you first realise you loved writing and wanted to be an author? What was the first thing you ever wrote?
I remember writing a story back in high school about a mountain man falling for a girl. Looking back, I think it was a little (a lot) stalkerish and creepy. I wish I could find it again but I moved too much and lost it along the way. 
I didn't realize I wanted to be an author until I published Touch and people actually started to read it. :D

8) Do you have any more projects in the works or can you share some ideas for future ones?
I'm still on a werewolf kick and loved the humour in Moved so I'm doing something along those lines with a more contemporary/New Adult feel. And writing the next book in the Judgement Series, of course. ;)

Quick Questions
Fan fiction yay or nay? Yay (I think it should be called Funfiction!)
Ebook or paperback? Ebook
Tea or coffee? Tea
Zombies or vampires? Zombies!

About the Author
Melissa Haag currently resides in Wisconsin with her husband and three children. Touch is her first published novel. She is currently working on book three of a separate five book series. To learn more about her upcoming projects, visit her at:
http://melissahaag.com

Connect with her on:
https://twitter.com/imagine2live
https://www.facebook.com/author.MelissaHaag
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22242692-shadows-and-light

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...