Friday, 20 June 2014

Top Five Friday (1): Book Pet Peeves

Top Five Friday is a weekly meme hosted at Katieemay which lists our top 5 choices based on a bookish theme.

*********************************************************
This week's theme is top 5 book pet peeves, and they are in no order because all are equally annoying! I may go on a bit but my ranting could have been far worse so stick with me.

Cover Changes (Including Movie Editions)
One of my biggest pet peeves is cover changes. A lot of people have the same problem because to be honest it is a pain in the ass. When you’ve bought the first few books of a series you don’t want to have to go buy it all again because the last book is different, just to make it look good on your shelf. What’s even worse is when they change it and the originals were better (I’m talking to you Across the Universe). This includes movie editions, because never have I wanted to buy a book with the actors on it, particularly when I didn’t like the movie, and a lot of the time it’s the only copy available unless you search high and low then pay more money.

Interruptions
Another pet peeve is interruptions while I am engrossed in a book. It’s fine if it’s just a quick shout for dinner, but when you try and strike a proper conversation with me I will ignore you, no matter who you are or your reasons. I’m not trying to be rude it’s just a fact. What’s worse is when someone hovers over your shoulder to wait for you to finish, as if that’s going to make you read faster. It’s not. It just annoys the hell out of you until you tell them to go away (my favoured option) or you set your book down with a huff and demand what they want. Again, not trying to be rude, but if you interrupt me you’re going to get attitude.

Mistreating Books
I hate this about myself because it’s so fricking annoying; but I am the kind of perfectionist who if her books are not in pristine condition goes completely crazy. I will give guidelines to my brother or who whoever it is I allow to borrow my book about how to treat it so the spine doesn’t break etc, and if it comes back with so much as a scratch or dented corner refuses to let them near any of my books ever again. I cringe any time I see a dog eared page from a library book; there are such things as bookmarks for a reason! Even greasy fingerprints on shiny covers make me go crazy and I have to clean them, every… single… time…

Spoilers
Let’s get this straight I hate spoilers. It ruins a book when you find out something major that happens while talking or reading a review before hand, even synopsises of sequels contain them a lot of the time. I hate it when you are careful to read spoiler free reviews, then go to pick up your next book and pick up the sequel by accident because it isn’t clear of the order and spoil the ending. Would it really be so hard to put a number next to the title? At least that way you don’t find no point in reading the first book.

Insta-Love
I have plenty more bookish pet peeves that I could mention, but the one that always sticks with me and a lot of others is this thing called insta-love. Anyone can vouch that it is not only unrealistic but frustrating! You don’t lay eyes on someone and then decide you will love them forever, or even die for them! You can think that they’re hot, sure, and if your heart “flutters”, fine, but that’s lust not love; huge difference.

Anyway, rant over, let me know in the comments what my next Top Five Friday's theme should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...