Friday, 6 June 2014

Review: Uninvited (Uninvited #1) by Sophie Jordan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13645645-uninvited?ac=1Goodreads Synopsis:
The Scarlett Letter meets Minority Report in bestselling author Sophie Jordan's chilling new novel about a teenage girl who is ostracized when her genetic test proves she's destined to become a murderer.

When Davy Hamilton's tests come back positive for Homicidal Tendency Syndrome (HTS)-aka the kill gene-she loses everything. Her boyfriend ditches her, her parents are scared of her, and she can forget about her bright future at Juilliard. Davy doesn't feel any different, but genes don't lie. One day she will kill someone.

Only Sean, a fellow HTS carrier, can relate to her new life. Davy wants to trust him; maybe he's not as dangerous as he seems. Or maybe Davy is just as deadly.

The first in a two-book series, Uninvited tackles intriguing questions about free will, identity, and human nature. Steeped in New York Times bestselling author Sophie Jordan's trademark mix of gripping action and breathless romance, this suspenseful tale is perfect for fans of James Patterson, Michelle Hodkin, and Lisa McMann.


Review:
I love dystopian novels and immediately after seeing the cover it was clear that it was something I might like because how cool is her hair! Made to look like DNA strands it made all the difference in me actually picking up the book. But it was the synopsis that had me hooked. I just love the idea of a “death gene” and was interested where the story could go.

Unfortunately for a dystopian novel the world-building was very minimum which is a huge no-no. It was easy to get confused about the situation with the HTS gene outside United States of America borders (Canada and Mexico, which are brought up multiple times) because it was very briefly passed over. If it only focused on the United States it would have worked absolutely fine.

Its focus was more directed towards the lives of people with HTS, and how they are discriminated against so severely that for some it pushes them into the path of destruction that they otherwise wouldn’t have followed. It creates parallels in your head of our own society and was therefore incredibly interesting and thought provoking to say the least.

On a lighter note the characters if I’m honest were a little bland. There was little chemistry between Davy and Sean until right towards the end, so just as you were getting into it the book ended. I was not impressed. But it leaves room for development in book 2. Davy is a high school prodigy who has her whole life ripped away after the revelation of her genes and while this could have been a completely tragic and heart-wrenching moment for the reader as well, it was too early in the novel so you only connected with her character once it’s already happened, near halfway through the book.

Sean however is the classic good guy. He’s the quiet and mysterious boy in the shadows but with a big heart and although it’s the classic cliché, it doesn’t come across this way and that is the main point that I praise Jordan’s writing on. He is such a strong character who is determined to do things his way against what others think is impossible, which is why I was so desperate for him to make it out okay.

This helped the ending be surprisingly satisfying. The fact that also wasn’t a cliffhanger proved that not every book has to end on a cliff-hanger, and thank god for that because even though it may not sound like it, I did enjoy Uninvited and look forward to the second book, but since it’s scheduled for early 2015 if it didn’t have a good ending I would be tearing my hair out right now.
Favourite Quotes:
“All my life people have called me gifted. Extraordinary. Blessed. I had all these dreams to become something. Someone. No one ever said I couldn’t. No one ever said Killer.”

“My imprint is there for the world to see. I don’t try to hide it with my hair or a high collar. When I got ready for school this morning, I kept thinking of Sean. How proud he appears. Unapologetic. And I want to be like that. I don’t want to look cowed or ashamed. I may not want to be this, but I don’t want to be that girl, either. I don’t want to be afraid.” 

"A world so afraid of carriers, it makes killers out of the innocent.”


"Leaning down, he whispers for my ears alone. "Prove them wrong."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...