Monday, 23 June 2014

Review: Requiem (Delirium #3) by Lauren Oliver

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9593913-requiem?ac=1Goodreads Synopsis:
They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.

But we are still here.

And there are more of us every
day.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor.

Maybe we are driven 
crazy by our feelings.

Maybe love is a 
disease, and we would be better off without it.

But we have chosen a different road.

And in the end, that is the point of escaping the 
cure: We are free to choose.

We are even free to choose the 
wrong thing.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.


Review:
After reading Pandemonium which is the second instalment in the Delirium trilogy I had a new found respect for both Lena, and the series in general. This meant I also had high hopes for Requiem, and I prayed that the ending didn’t live up to the endless criticism I had seen on the internet.

The book was gorgeously written, and the characters were portrayed perfectly to the point where they did feel like real people and you could feel their emotion oozing out of the page and into your heart. All except Hana. This was my first out of only 2 problems with this book, because it was written with a dual perspective from both Lena and Hana’s POVs. A dual perspective worked well in Pandemonium with Lena’s “then” and “now”, and I loved Lena whereas I simply don’t like Hana. I feel bad for admitting it but even when things were getting tough for her I couldn’t relate and didn’t have the slightest twinge of sympathy. Instead I kept thinking “that’s Karma bitch”.

But now moving on to Requiem’s ending: it pains me to say this but I agree with the majority of the criticism towards it. It had a beautiful final chapter for a book, but a terrible final chapter for a series. There was no closure; you had to read between the lines just to see who lived through it! Never mind who Lena chose, and how people handled the devastating grief after a war (that you don’t even see conclude). I read an interview with Lauren Oliver where she says “I don’t believe in happy endings”, and while this is totally respectable, does it mean she couldn’t have one? No. Was it too much to ask for a pages worth of epilogue? No it wasn’t.

The lead up was perfect with just enough tension, and it didn’t drag on to a point where you were bored or dreaded an anti-climax. The climax was all it lived up to be, it just fell short. Literally. IT WAS TOO SHORT!

This is not the only reason Requiem doesn’t get 5 stars from me, because I cannot get over Hana being a frustrating (but necessary) character, nor a lack of ending.
Favourite Quotes:
“I’m scared, I want to say. I have a bad feeling. I love you and don’t want you to get hurt. But again, it’s as though the words are trapped, buried under past fears and past lives, like fossils compressed under layers of dirt.”

“This is not the person I wanted to become: hatred has carved a permanent place inside me, a hollow where things are so easily lost.”

“We never really choose, not entirely. We are always being pushed and squeezed down one road or another. We have no choice but to step forward, and then step forward again, and then step forward again; suddenly we find ourselves on a road we haven’t chosen at all.
But maybe happiness isn’t in the choosing. Maybe it’s in the fiction, in the pretending: that wherever we have ended up is where we intended to be all along.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...