Thursday, 12 June 2014

Review: Demonglass (Hex Hall #2) by Rachel Hawkins

8428064Goodreads Synopsis:
Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (a.k.a. witches, shape-shifters, and faeries). But then she discovered the family secret, and the fact that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie's a demon, one of only two in the world-the other being her father. What's worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will either destroy her powers for good-or kill her. 

But once Sophie arrives, she makes a shocking discovery. Her new housemates? They're demons too. Meaning, someone is raising demons in secret, with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they're using Archer to do it. But it's not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?


Review:
This book picks up a few months after Hex Hall finished at the end of the school year. But do not fear there are plenty of new creatures to take the students places where Sophie’s going; to live with her mighty demon Dad. I think it’s fair to say she’s not very excited about it, especially after she made her drastic decision in Hex Hall at the end of the book and so she’s back as snarky and sarcastic as ever.

She is a great character and I love her attitude because it can turn a really dark scene into something humorous while still keeping the tension, if not increasing it because you can tell that’s just the way she responds. Both Jenna and Archer also make appearances in this book, and I love the different relationships they have with Sophie. For once an author doesn’t just focus on romantic relationships putting friendships on the back burner, and they both play big parts. Jenna herself is the perfect best friend, while Archer… well let’s just say I am team Archer all the way. You finally uncover his secrets so you can actually decide what you think of him; instead of making rash judgements along with Sophie (although of course she had reason).

Other characters were also introduced and others were developed more fully, and when I say this I mean you have to double take at their true personalities and at their involvement in everything.

This made the plot just as engaging as the first book, and Hawkins did a perfect job of mixing both light scenes with the heavy and dramatic ones, it was also the only way I could put the book down otherwise I wouldn’t have done anything including eaten since I picked up the series! There were too many twists and turns and revelations to count which I loved, and it was really interesting how Hawkins occasionally lulled you into a false sense of security until BHAM! Everything went haywire.

Once again we are left on a cliff-hanger, so the second I finish this review I’m picking up Spell Bound. This is the moment when I am thankful for putting off the series until all the books were out; otherwise I would probably be going crazy! I swear authors like torturing us with these cliff-hanger endings and one thing’s for sure, and that’s it definitely makes us pick up the sequel.
Favourite Quotes:
“None of this makes any sense.”
“I’m beginning to think I should make that the title of my autobiography.”

“You think you’ve accepted that someone is out of your life, that you’ve grieved and it’s over, and then bam. One little thing and you feel like you’ve lost that person all over again.”

“Without thinking, I reached out and grabbed Nick's free arm. His wet white T-shirt and jeans rippled, and suddenly he was wearing a Day-Glo yellow tank top and acid-washed jeans. "And you look better like this."
(…) As Daisy hooted with laughter, Nick narrowed his eyes at me. "Okay, now you're in for it." He waved his hand, and suddenly I was sweltering. When I glanced down, I saw that it was because I was now dressed like the Easter Bunny. But with the flick of one fuzzy paw, I'd transformed Nick's jeans and tank top into a snowsuit.
Then I was in a bikini.
So Nick was wearing a particularly poofy purple prom dress.
By the time he'd turned my clothes into a showgirl's costume, complete with a feathery headdress, and I'd put him in a scuba suit, we were both completely magic drunk and giggling.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...