Friday, 30 May 2014

Review: The Forever Song (Blood of Eden #3) by Julie Kagawa

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21900382-the-forever-songGoodreads Synopsis:
VENGEANCE WILL BE HERS 

Allison Sekemoto once struggled with the question: human or monster? 

With the death of her love, Zeke, she has her answer. 

MONSTER 

Allie will embrace her cold vampire side to hunt down and end Sarren, the psychopathic vampire who murdered Zeke. But the trail is bloody and long, and Sarren has left many surprises for Allie and her companions—her creator, Kanin, and her blood brother, Jackal. The trail is leading straight to the one place they must protect at any cost—the last vampire-free zone on Earth, Eden. And Sarren has one final, brutal shock in store for Allie. 

In a ruined world where no life is sacred and former allies can turn on you in one heartbeat, Allie will face her darkest days. And if she succeeds, triumph is short-lived in the face of surviving forever alone.


Review:
The Forever Song is the absolute perfect finish to the Blood of Eden series and not just because it ties everything up brilliantly, but because it is a beautiful book in its own right and I can’t remember the last series I read where the final book is a patch on the others; yet Julie Kagawa amazes me again and I think this is truly the best book in the series which is saying something for a phenomenal series.

All the characters are back with a vengeance and they carried a really dark mood that was ever present, a lot more so than the first two books and they had a lot of dark stuff. It’s safe to say that this is not a light and quirky read, but thrilling and ghastly (in a good way). Basically I loved every second of it.

What’s surprising is that it isn’t just Sarren who darkens the plot, I’ll admit he has a big hand in it with what he leaves in his wake (he could give Voldemort a run for his money), but the constant battle of wills even with themselves plays a big part in the character development for the story. I can’t say much about Allison without spoiling the plot because from the synopsis you see that she has turned to her inner demon, and while it’s true there is a lot more to it and also a lot of change which is all understandable. But what hasn’t changed is she is still the kick-ass heroin everyone knows and loves.

Both her companions, Kanin and Jackal are also back, and I never thought I’d say it but I am so glad! Jackal in particular surprised me because even though you don’t look deeply into it you understand more of his character, and just like Kanin, while a lot of it is face value, there’s more beneath the surface they try to hide even from themselves.

Now onto one of the most important parts; Zeke. After the cliffhanger at the end of The Eternity Cure, it was obvious that his memory was going to influence a lot of the following events and not just Allison’s change of tact, and boy was I right. But I will be horrible and say no more because I refuse to spoil anything and if I started I probably couldn’t stop.

So instead I’ll say that The Forever Song is one hell of an emotional ride so prepare for your heart to be ripped out and salvaged time and time again, because just like we love reading it Kagawa does not lack in writing it.
Favourite Quotes:
“Wherever Sarren went, whatever forgotten corner of the country he fled to, I wouldn’t be far behind. No matter what he did, no matter how far or fast he ran, I would catch up to him, and then he would pay for what he had done.”

“Oh sister,” Jackal mocked, pretending to wipe away a tear. “Listen to you, sounding just like a real vampire. I’m so proud.”

“I’d done everything I could think of to fight the demon, o not give in, to keep some semblance of humanity. Even though it was hard, it hurt like hell, and all I had to show for it was a broken heart.”

“He might actually be a decent bloodsucker. And by decent, I mean a proper, murdering, ‘I eat babies for breakfast’ vampire. It’s always the nice ones you have to worry about.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...