Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Review: Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11235712-cinder?ac=1Goodreads Synopsis:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


Review:
I first saw this book in the bookstore from a distance so I could only make out the foot and the name. A Cinderella retelling? No thank you. I have enjoyed some retellings but Cinderella isn’t even one of my favourite fairy-tales; so I didn’t even give it a second glance. That was until I saw the hype following this series online and worked out that it was in fact a cyborg foot belonging to cyborg Cinderella, and this obviously made all the difference! I got it immediately.

It was a very fun and quick read with characters that didn’t make you want to tear your hair out (huge accomplishment)! Cinder is incredibly independent character instead of the typical heroin/princess who relies on the man to save the day; and she made mistakes as we all do but learnt from them herself which created a way to relate to her.

It was a very imaginative plot I think it’s fair to say, and it was very engaging to read even though I predicted the “plot twists” from the start (and it might be worth pointing out that it doesn’t follow the exact storyline as Disney’s Cinderella). For once though I didn’t mind and loved it all the same.

The biggest fault for me personally, which happens in a lot of books was that there was tonnes of information dropping. Marissa Meyer would go into paragraphs on the Lunar’s (moon people) and cyborgs history, which no matter how interesting is always hard to take in. There was also a lot of technical speak about mechanics and fixing stuff which for the most part went over my head, who on earth knows what a magbelt is? Even with all this information a lot of answers to obvious questions are missed out, such as how did people end up settling on the moon and getting magical powers? This lasted until about halfway through the novel when things really got started since the groundwork was laid.

The ending was not at all what I expected, because I was under the impression that it was a different fairy-tale for each book and that they wouldn’t really be connected, so when it ended on a cliff-hanger without concluding it all I was certain I missed a step. It turns out that Cinder will be joining Little Red Riding Hood in the next installment, Scarlet, so I can’t wait to see how this works out.
Favourite Quotes:
“Vanity is a factor, but it is more a question of control. It is easier to trick others into perceiving you as beautiful if you can convince yourself you are beautiful. But mirrors have an uncanny way of telling the truth.” 

“We all have our weaknesses.”
“I know,” said Iko. “Mine is shoes.”

“Instead of looking like a royal heartthrob, he just looked crazy.”

“Believe me, Cinder. You are a sacrifice I will never regret.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...